Give Happiness a Chance

A/N: This is cannon divergent mixed with some parts of the Matched series. It's confusing whether you read the series or not.
————————————————————
Bellamy stared at the mark on his wrist in disbelief as he walked to his office—her office? Their office. It's complicated. There had to have been a mistake, mistakes have happened before and they're trying to seamlessly join the Bardoan people after the final war.

The war he didn't remember, the fight he was a part of.

He remembered some things, like his sister and getting her thrown in the Skybox. He remembered Clarke, her long golden hair and blue eyes so defiant and beautiful and he loved riling her up. How they went from hating each other to being each other's closest confidants and how she saved him countless times. He remembered losing her.

He had these feelings whenever he walked into the office and he didn't know what to name them, they weren't a feeling he recognized. He knew something happened, it'd been years apparently and they'd both changed and hurt each other in those years, but he didn't remember any of it. He didn't want to hurt her, as far as he was concerned he would never hurt her.

But he had time missing and with that missing time in his head gone, he was horrible at keeping himself on a schedule. Especially on days where his schedule encorporated getting a tattoo by the government. A compatibility algorithm, popularly called the soulmate algorithm, matched people up as the best compatibility due to their history and behaviors.

Bellamy forgot about it and when he remembered his scheduled time had passed and he was the last one in line. There wasn't an excuse or a reasoning behind him forgetting other than the last six years of his life were missing from his memory, some older than that too. He didn't remember Echo or that Clarke left. He didn't remember Gina... she was real. He just took the little snippets from everyone and tried moving on with his amnesia. He fought a war for the people who made him forget, the people he fought to keep the memories to himself and wound up losing entirely.

He walked into the building and into the elevator that had people he didn't know inside waiting to go up. The little infinity symbol stung on his wrist but he'd felt worse pain before. He knew that, but he didn't remember it, like he knew he should have cared about the break up with Echo but he didn't remember being with her so he didn't care about breaking up with her.

Once the elevator brought him to the floor that he and Clarke worked on—funny how they were still a team—his nerves almost got the better of him. She knew where he was that morning and if he didn't show up at all for work, she would have gotten worried and figured something was up. Which it was.

"Okay, so don't be mad," Bellamy said, taking a seat in Clarke's office, needing to get it out of the way.

She sighed, taking her eyes off her computer to find Bellamy ringing his fingers together and his hair messier than usual, another nervous/stress tick of his. "I'm already livid, please continue." Her sarcastic annoyance so thick, she knew it'd put him even more on edge. It was his day of getting a soulmark, their new society was weird. So much for free will.

"I may or may not have got in the wrong line to get my soulmark and accidentally mixed up my place and got the same mark as you."

"What? Are you joking?"

"Look, I'm not pleased either. I'm not good at being on time and it was the shortest line."

"The one time I decide to work with you after everything and you decide to ruin my life forever."

"I'm not even the worst soulmate you could have. You could have gotten stuck with a murderer! Hmm? That would have been fun."

Clarke knew that he didn't have his full memories back, she knew that when he commented on the length of her hair, she hoped that it would come back over time but the longer it's been the less hope she had in him gaining his memories back. He didn't remember killing three hundred grounders under Pike's influence or pulling the lever with her at Mount Weather killing everyone inside except their people who were prisoners. He might not even remember shooting Jaha.