Chapter 4

-"What exactly is it that I'm doing?" I said helplessly trying to catch my breath. Was it because all of the running, or was it being close to Brenn that affected me like that?

-"Have you completely lost your mind? You can't just wander off in the middle of the night alone. What if something bad were to happen? Have you no regards for your own safety?!" He sounded exasperated and disappointed with a little hint of enthuisiam. What was he enthusiastic about? Is it seeing me or is it yelling at me that gave him that satisfaction.

He continued, "come with me. I'm taking you home", with a tone of domination. He grabbed my hand tugging on it showing his determination. I stood still and refused to move showing my disapproval by stomping my foot on the ground making a loud noise that caught his attention.

-"First of all, I did not come all the way here for you to drag me all the way back!"

-"And what's second of all?" He inpolitely interrupted me mid sentence, with a hint of sarcasm.

-"Do you think of me as a child, officer Hitzig? I mean are you even certified to be a police officer?"

His eyes widened shoked at my come back, and to think I was a shy type.

-"Well, I'm not the 16 year old playing detective, trying to solve mysteries by running away from home and putting myself in dangerous situations, Miss Levi. This is not Wonder Land; this is the real world, and just to ease your mind, I am very much certified; in fact, I excelled in almost all of my tests."

I was about to explode with anger when I barked back at him, "I am 19 years old, which means I am an adult just as much as you are. I am capable of taking care of myself which liberates you from your moral duty of trying to act as my guardian! I am not here to solve anything; I'm here to make sense of what happened earlier, and I specially did not come here to be insulted by some georgeous twenty-something acting like a know-it-all!"

-"You think I'm georgeous?" he said while a smirk replaced his full lips

-"Is that all you got from what I said?" I sighed in defeat with cherry tinted cheeks.

-"I also understand that you think you're capable of taking care of yourself?" he said raising an eyebrow.

-"Yes. That was what I was aiming for."

Suddenly, I felt a hand circling my waist, and with a very swift move he turned me around tugging my hands behind me, so that my back was colliding with his ab-rich torso. He then leaned so that his lips were slightly brushing my ear and whispered carefully, "and if you were to be attacked like that? What would you do Miss Levi? Would you hit your attacker? Slap him? Hit me Miss Levi. HIT ME!"

 Confusion surged through me, and without hesitation, I raised my foot and landed it above his with all the power I- could gather. His body stiffened with pain, and, for a split second, his hands felt looser, which allowed me to turn around, free myself from his strong grip and face him.

I looked intently in his eyes that hid his amusement, subcontiously raised my hand and slapped his cheek. The look in his eyes changed. I couldn't tell if he was mad or somewhat proud. To be honest, it hurt me more than it did him; his sharp jawline cut through my delicate flesh, and his stubble tickled my palm. I tried hard to stiffle a giggle and stated calmly, "I rest my case Brenn Hitzig."

A wide smile formed on his face, and he busrt out laughing. What was wrong with him? I just kicked his ass and now he's laughing... unless..unless the bastard let me hit him!

I shook my head up trying to gauge his reaction when I noticed his blue eyes piercing into me. Still really close to him, I wanted to back away but just couldn't. My feet failed me, and I stood there staring back at him aimlessly. I opened my mouth to speak but then immediatly closed it. I couldn't find the right words. My brain went blank and my mouth dry. Why did his look affect me like that?

-"So what did you really come here for Emily?" He said interrupting the stream of silence. I was pushed to my edges after hearing my name come out of his mouth, and I caught myself staring at his bright full lips.

He cleared his throat in an attempt to draw me back to reality. Did he notice?

-"Umm..I..I came here to..evidence..Umm."

-"I see. I hear you came here to evidence?" He stated sheepishly smiling down at me.

-"The killer... How did they know it was him?"

-"I'm sorry, Emily. I cannot discuss this matter with you."

-"Yes, I know you can't, but you know my father brought him here, and if you're not going to answer my question, he will"

-"They found him lurking around the well, and that's as much as I can say."

-"That's not enough evidence! Is it?"

-"No, it's not, but that's all we have for now. We still need to question him."

-"That man was brought here almost beaten to death. What makes you think that he's going to answer your questions?"

-"At some point he's going to have to."

-"Can I talk to him?" I asked almost hesitantly.

-"Why on earth would I let you do that? That would put you at risk, and I cannot venture with your life!"

I bit my bottom lip. His genuine concern delighted me for some reason I couldn't figure yet.

I heard him mouth to himself, "how much do I want to bite that lip."

-"Excuse me?" I retorted.

-"Nothing."

I eyed him suspiciously. The mouvement of his lips gave away what he has just said, and I couldn't help but feel butteflies in my stomach. 

Seconds later the sky howled in disapproval and unwelcomed rain showered us. He took hold of my hand and led me after him into the big police station where he peeled my wet coat off, hung it and disappeared. I was wearing a white ankle lenght dress, which apparently becomes see-through when wet. Hell I was wet. The damp fabric huged my curvy figure and glued on my pale skin.

Seconds later, he came back holding a large shawl. He stuttered trying to find appropriate words but blankly stated, "you're really wet."

-"Why aren't you one perceptive lad?" I answered him sarcastically feeling conscious about his roaming eyes and briskly yanked the shawl from him desperately trying to cover myself. The shawl failed to cover me properly and Brenn noticed.

-"Sorry that was the only thing I could find."

I huffed in disbelief and gave him a knowing look. He averted his eyes from my soaking body and leveled up to my face.

-"I still insist on talking to him"

-"Who him?"

-"The guy they just brought in. I've already told you!"

-"And I have already told you over my wet body. DEAD. I mean dead body," he said flashing me his full smile.

The corners of my lips rose, and I smiled at his honest mistake. Afer that, I gave him the most captivating puppy dog stare I could manage, and he burst out at me, "stop looking at me like that. God! It won't work."

At his response, I unconsciously pouted, and I noticed his expression soften.

-"Fine. You get two minutes with him. If he still doesn't talk, you'll be out before that. I'll be waiting just outside the room."

I was surprised my attempts worked, and I mindlessly pulled him into a tight hug. He did not hesitate to hug me back, and, in no time, his hands wrapped around me, and a tingeling feeling cursed through my body. Tension started building in my stomach, and I had to escape our embrace before it was too late.

I shot infront of him heading towards the investigation room, and he followed me close behind. I could see the clear disappointment on his face, but I chose to ignore it at the moment.

-"Two minutes and that's it!"