At What Cost?

Katsumi stumbled weakly out of the annex, the day had turned too eventide. The sunset sunk behind the mountains, leaving a soft orange glow light the sky. She wiped her mouth, drawing back her arm to see a smear of dark blood left behind.

"You shouldn't have done that," a deep voiced hissed. Katsumi whipped her head up, immediately using the wall for support. The world around her spun, as black spots took over her vision. Kyo reached out, steadying her swaying body.

"Done what?" She questioned, tilting her head up to give him a bright smile.

"You've suffered enough Katsumi, you shouldn't have to on my part." Kyo sighed, reaching down to ruffle her hair.

"My suffering means nothing to me, as long as you and everyone else is safe. All the pain I endure, all the blood I have shed- all of it is worth it, if it means you all keep smiling. It's all I need, to keep me going." Kyo sighed, resting his forehead against hers.

"You need to care more about yourself," he scolded.

"I exist on this earth, to shoulder the burden of this curse Kyo. My life is meaningless. I have nothing to lose, I never had a reason to fight to begin with." Katsumi told him, gratefully accepting his offer for a piggyback ride back to the vacation house.

"You need to find one, or I'll have to fight for you. Akito may have said stuff to you, to make you think that nobody cares for you- but I can tell you that it's not the truth. I love you Katsumi, not... In a romantic way, like I love you like you're my little sister. From the moment we met, you have always stuck by my side. Even when you saw me change into the cat spirit. Even when I throw my temper-tantrums. Even when I thought the world had turned against me. You were always by my side steadfast and true, I never felt alone because I knew that no matter what, no matter how ugly the situation got- you would always... Always... Be by my side. I know that you're suffering, I know that you're hurt. I know you've given up on the world, but I'm not going to let you; because, they need you here with them: Momiji, Haru, Kisa, Hiro, Tohru, and yes, even Yuki. Not only them, but I need you Katsumi. You're my little sister, you're my best friend. If you left, I'd be... Devastated..." Katsumi sniffled, burying her head into the back of his as he spoke.