Chapter Nineteen

The Image on the side is of Argon played by Ralph Fiennes 

Chapter Nineteen

Esmay Porter

Jake was gone. He had left a note attached to the fridge saying he had gone to get some food. I looked in the fridge, and the cupboards and they were very much full. He must have had his reasons for going, I knew that but when I looked outside Claudious was also gone.

I opened the front door and stepped into the cold morning air. It brushed against my skin and I shivered. A rock lay beside my feet and I picked it up and threw it at the barrier. A blue light rippled as the rock went straight through. At least I knew Claudious was still locked out, which was always a bonus.

I wanted to hate him, scrap that I wanted to kill him. Yet what Jake said had meaning. I wasn’t always this coldhearted either, there was a time where Disney princess dress up and singing in the choir appealed to me. But after the asylum, after being prodded and jabbed with everything the doctors could get their hands on, I changed. The past that haunted Claudious was just the same. I closed the door and brought the kettle to the stove.

I missed him. I didn’t want to admit it because I wanted to hate him enough so when I eventually left I wouldn’t think about him twice. But, if he was gone now, did that mean he had won the fight? If so I would have imagined he would come to me first not just leave without saying anything?

I brought two mugs down and began to brew the tea. Jackie would surely need it when she woke up. Unlike me, she hadn’t been through anything this tough before. I knew from personal experience that when you suffer from something this traumatic a long sleep is the best cure for anything. Though, I only slept because I was doped up to high hell, I couldn’t physically open my eyes without seeing dancing unicorns or something even more bizarre.

Jackie came into the kitchen just as I was frying the last few seconds on the eggy bread. My mother hand always made this for me, it was the first thing she had made me when I was released from the asylum.

‘Morning.’ Jackie yawned as she took a seat at the table in the middle of the kitchen.

‘Good morning’ I said. ‘I hope you’re hungry.’

I placed the plate and tea in front of Jackie and she gladly accepted it. She smiled as she took the first bite of her breakfast. ‘This is bloody good.’ She said whilst chewing.

She hadn’t noticed Jake wasn’t here yet, which I assumed was a good thing for now. I ate my own breakfast but something was troubling me. Jake knew I wasn’t stupid, he knew I would look in the cupboards after seeing a suspicious note, so maybe it wasn’t meant for me.

‘Jake left a note,’ I said. ‘He’s gone to get a few things.’

Jackie simply nodded and continued eating her breakfast. She put down her knife and fork and looked towards the window. ‘It’s quiet.’

‘It has been for a while now,’ I took a drink and sighed as the hot liquid soothed my throat. It was sore from all the crying and screaming I had done a day before when my friend was killed. It still hurt. Every time I closed my eyes I saw her, when I looked at Jackie I saw her.

‘Claudious left.’  I said.

‘He did?’ Jackie stood up with her mug and looked out the window. ‘He gave up pretty quickly.’