Chapter 2 - The Maze

The Maze

“We’re lost!” I looked at the Doctor, who was standing in front of the fifth dead-end, that we’ve run into. “Doctor! We’ve been walking around in circles. Do you even know where your… Tard… thing is?”

“TARDIS” He said defensively, walking back over to me. “And, we’re not lost! We’re just… sight-seeing!” He pointed a finger at me as if he wanted to say something more, but stopped himself and walked down another corridor.

I looked at the endless walls and corridors around us, “Some sights.”

I couldn’t help laughing softly to myself, as I slowly followed him. He was clearly frustrated, but who could blame him? This place was like a huge maze!

It gave us a chance to talk at least. The doctor had explained how he got my message on his ‘psychic paper,’ and that, whoever held me in that room, probably erased my memory to keep me from doing it again. Though I asked him how we knew each other, he didn’t respond. Just went on, rambling about when he got my message; he was in the middle of saving some princess from her step mother, who was actually a slitheen in disguise. I don’t know if I even believe him or not.

Aliens? Time travelling? Come on!

“Aaa a aah!” the sound of the Doctor’s voice brought me back from my thoughts. He was looking from side to side down two opposite corridors. “It’s this way! I know it’s this way!” He said turning right and heading down one. I only just reach the corner, when the Doctor emerged again and grabbed my hand. Pulling me along with him, he headed in the opposite direction. “Other way!”

We turned yet another corner, but only to find a big metal wall blocking our path. The Doctor halted sharply, and stared at it, confused.

“That wasn’t there before.” He said with one eyebrow raised. He let go of my hand and slowly walked towards it. “I remember coming through here, there were no walls. I mean, there were walls.” He gave me a quick glance and looked back at the wall in front of us. “But none right in the middle of the corridor! Who puts a wall in the middle of a corridor?”

“Maybe you came from back there.” I suggested weakly, pointing down in that direction.

Ignoring me, the Doctor pulled out his silver torch, pointed it at the metal wall, and moved it from side to side, still muttering to himself how a huge wall could just appear.

It made the same beeping sound that I heard before, when that green beam cut a ‘door-shape’ in that wall. Is he going to do that to this wall too? I took a few steps back. If he was, I wanted to see exactly how. I just got far enough so that everything was in view, when something caught my eye…

Somewhere around a corner at the other end of the corridor, which I just pointed at, there was a light slowly flashing on and off. I stared at it. I wonder what’s over there. My curiosity taking control, I walked towards it. Staring down the corner, I froze... What... my throat closed and my heart raced faster than it ever had before… something told me not to blink.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Ouch!” the Doctor’s voice echoed through the empty corridors. He entered the same one I was in, holding his foot in pain. “The TARDIS is on the other side of that wall!” He said, limping towards me.

I didn’t respond… I couldn’t. I just stared straight, not daring to turn my head.

“Allora… What’s wrong?” He ran to me. Following my line of site, he also froze. Because… standing a few meters away, were two white statues… of angels. One was turned downwards with its hands over its face, while the other’s mouth was wide open showing its large teeth, and its hand pointing at the light above us.

“Don’t… blink!” The doctor said, just as the light flicked off… and then back on. It was only off a few seconds, but the statues… They’ve moved!

“Doctor, what are those things?” I asked, terrified of what the answer might be.

“Weeping Angels, there’re weeping angels,” He said, looking around for an escape. “They can’t move, Allora, they can’t move as long as you’re looking at them. But don’t look at the eyes! Anywhere, but the eyes!”

Still staring at them, I lowered my vision slightly. “But, they’re just…”

“No they’re not.” His voice was serious.

“Ok, if they’re not statues, and we have to keep looking at them… Then… how are we going to get out of here?”

He didn’t reply.

I heard the beeping sound from behind me again, “Doctor!”

“I’m thinking!”

The light flashed again… the angels were closer. “Doctor! Think faster!”