7

Jake

Jake

Laser tag.

This is what my domain looks like. Not ziplining over one of the biggest canyons in BC and fearing for my life. Cassian and I used to laser tag all the time when we were kids, which is part of the reason why I chose it. I'm hoping we'll be able to split into two teams: men versus women. When Cassian and I are together, nobody can beat us, and because Gemma and I are so competitive, I would love to be able to annihilate her, Hanna, and the rest of the ladies.

Today, me and the gang are at Safari Ridge on the Westside, waiting at the front desk while the worker tries to find our reservation I made last week.

"It's gotta be in here somewhere," the kid mutters, tapping his braces as he searches the computer. "Give me a sec."

"Take your time," I reply, sauntering back over to where the group is sitting. Safari Ridge is basically a mini outdoor arena for both laser tag and paintball, hence the posters that are scattered throughout the small office building, reminding players of etiquette and other such things. Behind the office building is five acres of forest that's lined by netting to prevent any paintballs from going into windows of the houses behind the property. Dozens of battered buildings are scattered amongst the trees, bundles of logs are scattered for cover, and a few old vehicles span the length between groves of trees and the battered buildings. The theme is supposed to be post-apocalypse, and I have to admit that they've done a good job. It definitely reminds me of something you'd see in one of those movies.

When I get over to the seating area, I sit down beside Gemma, my hand instantly finding hers. "What'd I miss?" I ask.

"Cassian is discussing teams," Penelope replies. "He wants boys versus girls."

"Yeah," Cassian snorts. He reaches over and ruffles Penelope's hair. "And little Penelope here thinks it's unfair."

With a slight blush across her cheeks, Penelope shoves Cassian away. "Only because you boys will get your asses kicked by me, Gemma, Hanna, and Morgane."

"I seriously doubt that," Reid laughs. "Gemma's never even held a gun before."

Gemma scowls at her brother. "I have so held a gun before. Remember that time we went to visit Grandma and Grandpa on their farm in Alberta? They had us shooting the gophers that kept eating their crops. And, if I do recall correctly, your aim was the definition of shit, Reid. I'm the one who got most of them. I'm also the one who got rewarded with Grandma's homemade ice cream at the end. So I guess that's that."

Reid scowls back at Gemma, the two of them locked in a deadly gaze. For as long as I've known Gemma, she and Reid have always been competitive siblings. Whenever we would play Mario Kart on the GameCube, it was an all-out war between the two of them. Sometimes it even led to wrestling each other on the couch and throwing punches. They never hurt each other, they just wanted to prove who was the stronger one. To be honest, it was kind of amusing.