The glass hit of her arm and shattered on the floor, drink and shards flying everywhere. Grace let out a sharp cry of pain.

"Interesting."

"Gloria!" Nik yelled. "What on earth do you think you are doing."

"I'm testing my a theory Klaus, your little human won't get hurt."

"Well this little human is definitely gonna bruise." Grace snapped, rubbing her arm.

Dismissing her, Gloria simply circled her with a decisive nod the witch laid her hand on Grace's arm muttering in what sounded like Latin but it was too fast for her to be sure.

It didn't last long though, quickly Gloria pulled her hand away as though she had be touched scolding metal fresh from the furnace. Her face flickered and Grace felt like she was in the matrix experiencing a glitch, suddenly all Gloria's years seemed to appear on her face but as if it was a mere flicker of the light she returned to her normal self. Goes up to her and mutters some Latin spells but pulls her hand back as though she had touched hot metal.

Gloria held out her arm and an old leather bound journal flew from behind the counter into her waiting hand. Flicking through the pages she hummed and sighed, by now Nik's foot was tapping and his arms were crossed.

He was not impressed.

"Have you ever had any interactions with other magic practitioners or ever anything strange happen when you are approach or touched by someone like a vampire?"

"No, of course she hasn't." Nik said rolling his eyes but Grace interjected.

"Actually I have, a couple of times as well."

"Very interesting." Gloria replied in an almost mystical way, pouring over the page of the book she had laid out in front of her.

"What does it mean?" Grace asked but before Gloria could answer she was interrupted.

"That is not what we are here for!" Nik snapped, Grace couldn't understand why he was so angry. Retreating back to Stefan she sighed, surely her being a witch made her more useful anyway?

"I know, I know. For me to contact the witch you seek, I'll need help. Bring me Rebekah."

Stefan's attention was suddenly caught by something on the wall, his eyes widened in recognition and he plucked it off the wall to give it a closer look.

"Rebekah."  Nik mused. "Rebekah is a bit preoccupied."

"She has what I need. Bring her to me."  There was no room for discussion in her tone.

"What is this?" Stefan asked, holding out the photo he has been looking at.

"Well, I told you, Stefan. Chicago's a magical place." Grave peered over his shoulder and gasped at what she saw.

"But this is me. With you."

It was a picture of the two of them, large pearly smiles stretched across their faces and Stefan's arm slung round Nik shoulder. From what they were wearing it looked like some time back in the 1920s but that would mean that Nik and Stefan had met before, not only that but they were friends. 

Following that collective revelation the walk to the car was deadly quite and the entire car ride there was only a continuation of that snake eerie silence. It wasn't until they reached the warehouse that Stefan asked the question that had been playing on both his and Grace's mind.

"This doesn't make any sense." He said still looking at the photograph. "Why don't I remember you?"

"You said it yourself: that time had a lot of dark holes."