6. The Birth of Quiffy

[Zayn’s POV]

I followed Niall into the little boutique salon and realized it was completely deserted. I guess Niall sensed my trepidation because he just looked over at me and explained.

“We didn’t want anyone to come in and ask questions so we booked the place out for today.” Niall said with a smile.

“Right,” I said, feeling a bit surprised that I was shocked by the news. I should have seen it coming, I mean, they are celebrities. They probably do this thing all of the time. It can’t really be that big of a deal. How come it was such a big deal to me? Well I’ll tell you why.

I’m just a little lad from Bradford and this is all foreign. People renting out places just to have ‘private’ time and having all the luxuries. I couldn’t imagine what was happening was really happening to me. It’s not that I don’t feel as though I deserve it, but I keep asking myself, what if? I mean, what if I had gone to my X-Factor audition all those years ago? Would I be a somebody?

“Zayn?”

I snapped out of my deep thoughts to see Niall staring at me with great concern.

“Sorry, what were you saying?” I asked as I stepped inside the boutique behind him.

“I was saying that this is Lou,” he said guiding my attention towards the older woman standing next to him. She seemed very laid back, her lilac hair styled to be a tousled mess, but it suited her. She gave me a warm smile as she decided to stride out in front of me.

“Hi Zayn!” She said, reaching her hand out. “It’s nice to meet you.”

“You too,” I said as I shook her hand.

“Please, take a seat.”

I walked over to the chair and sat as she played with my hair.

“Niall, go wait with the rest of the boys. They’re in the lounge,” Lou said absentmindedly.

I peeked up to see Niall shifting from foot to foot, obviously hesitant to leave, but I wasn’t too sure why. He probably thought I was nervous or something. Well, how sweet of him, but I’m capable of having some lady play with my hair for a few moments.

Niall eventually left, after a few more moments of silent contemplation, and then Lou gave me her undivided attention.

“Your hair is so soft,” she gushed as she ran her fingers through it a bit more.

“Um, thanks?” I felt a bit awkward as she continued to run her petite hands through my hair. It felt good, but she was just so focused on it, it made me a bit nervous.

“So how would you feel about taking it off your face?”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, do you trust me?”

“No, not really. I barely know you.”

Lou laughed as she nodded. “Good point, but what if I can promise that I won’t do anything you’ll regret?”

I hesitated, biting my lip nervously. It wasn’t every day I let a random woman just cut my hair. I had my trusted barber at home, but I knew that this was what a new chapter needed. I needed a new me.

“Alright,” I said with a sigh. “You sure it’ll look okay?”

“Zayn, I promise, you’ll look flawless,” Lou said as she put the protective cloak around my neck. I stared at the material, letting ti glide across my fingertips as she leaned my chair back.