"That is a long, complicated story you wouldn't be able to guess half of," Kaz said, suddenly sounding weary.

"Save that for later," San interjected before I could ask more. "Adora is waiting for us outside."

"Adora?" I asked, but San was already taking the rest of the steps three at a time and disappearing out the entrance.

Kaz and I took the stairs one a time like normal people. "Adora is in our first class. She's one of our good friends. I think you'll like her, too. Her mother is the secretary-general of human relations. She'll be a good ally for you."

Curious, I followed Kaz outside, and to where San stood next to a shorter student in the same skirt and blouse as me. I froze in my spot when my eyes landed on her. She was beautiful. Hair the color of midnight flowed down to her waist, shining under the sunlight. Her perfect jawline made me envious as she turned her head up to talk to San, tucking a strand of her long hair behind her ear.

I swallowed. I didn't do well around pretty girls.

She turned to face me as San gestured in my direction and I felt even more self-conscious. Her face was like a doll's, tan and heart-shaped and perfectly symmetrical. But when I got to her eyes, I felt my heart stutter in my chest.

They were the color of blood. Sanguine and bright.

I forced myself to close the gap between us before I made things more awkward. As I reached her, she lifted her arms up and out. "Cleo it's so nice to meet you— oh! Are you okay with hugs?"

"Yes?"

No sooner had the word left my lips, she wrapped her arms around me, squeezing me tight. "I'm so happy you're here! It must be such a relief."

"A relief?"

She pulled back a little, searching my face. "Isn't it? To be away from your family? I've heard about the things they've done to you. How horrific."

A weight settled in my gut. "What?"

Those wine-red eyes grew round and she stepped away from me. "Oh, I'm sorry. I haven't even introduced myself and I'm acting like I know your whole life story. I'm Isadora Flores. I go by Adora."

"Cleo Levant," I said, holding out my hand, my throat feeling dry. What did Adora mean? What was so horrific? How did she even know of me?

She shook my hand and grimaced. "I think I came off a bit presumptuous. Sorry. I've just heard so many stories about your family from my mom because she meets with your father so often. I know it's weird to worry about a complete stranger, but I've always wanted to contact you. So, when I heard you were selected to come study here, I was so excited."

I glanced at San and Kaz, who both looked as confused as I felt. What kind of things was her mom telling her about me? What had my father said? I knew he sometimes had to meet with the secretary-general about treaties and terms, but why would he bother having any other conversation with a vampire? Especially about me? It didn't make sense. "I'm fine," I said slowly.

"That's a relief."

I studied her. She looked like she meant it. Her face relaxed and she smiled brightly. What had she been told that caused her to be so concerned with me? I wracked my memories for any time I was in danger, but none came up. I rarely left our estates. What had caused her concern?

Feeling unnerved by her blood-red gaze, I averted my eyes. I'd ask her later.

A hand clasped my shoulder and I startled. "Okay, don't scare her off, Adora," San said, pushing me in the direction of the academic building. "Now that you're acquainted, let's go or we'll be late."