Assuming the pendant was out in the open. Which I felt would be a 50-50 percent chance. As a prince, Claude would probably expect that no one would enter his room without permission, so he might leave valuables hanging around. But on the other hand, he had stolen the pendant. It would make sense if he decided to hide it.

I didn't imagine his room was much bigger than mine. I could do a sweep of it within ten minutes. Plenty of time if he were in class.

Afraid the prince in question might pop out of the double doors, I hurried into the common room, my chest feeling a little lighter. I had the basis of a plan. Maybe I could find some secrets about the hidden heir as well.

Kaz waved as I approached him. Today he was wearing an oversized cream-colored V-neck sweater with the school's emblem stitched into it. Underneath he wore a black turtle neck, the fabric pulled over his chin as if he were a turtle retracting into a shell himself. "Morning, Cleo."

"Tan looks good on you," I said in greeting. "I didn't know we had anything in tan."

"Ahh, this?" He plucked at the fabric of his sweatshirt. "I had to buy it from the catalog with my own money. It's worth it, though. I get tired of wearing black all the time, you know?"

I pointedly took in his black turtleneck, black slacks, and black shoes. "Hm."

He grinned, white teeth gleaming, and held out his arm. "Ready for your first day?"

"No," I said, but hooked my arms with his anyway. A smile crept onto my face. I'd been worried it would be awkward between us after yesterday. I wouldn't know what to do without Kaz. He'd already helped me out so much. I needed someone I could rely on.

We descended the stairs together, mingling with the other students rushing out of their dorm rooms. Wide-eyed stares met me in every direction, but since I'd been receiving those looks for days now, they didn't bother me. Stares weren't threatening. I'd rather be gawked at than struck.

A heavy weight crashed into my side and an arm slung itself around my neck, nearly knocking me face-first down the stairs. Kaz managed to keep me upright while I found my balance and turned to frown at the redhead who appeared before me.

"Morning!" San said cheerily.

I gripped his hand and twisted it behind his back, making him squawk in pain. "Morning."

"Ow, ow. Okay. I got it. Don't mess with the human in the morning, sheesh."

"No. Don't mess with the human ever."

San's lips curved into a pout as he removed his arm from around me. "I'm just playing around with you."

"Remember her situation," Kaz said.

"I am! Don't you think me being friendly with her is sitting a good example to the other students?"

"Don't you remember what the last thing you said to me was?" I asked.

"What? About the other students wanting to kill you? That wasn't a threat. I was just warning you," San responded. "In a friendly way. I worry about your safety. I have a soft spot for humans. Kaz, back me up."

Kaz shrugged. "San is right. Some students here want you dead. I'm sure you already knew it though, but it was sweet of him to give you a heads up."

San gave me a you see? expression.

I pressed my lips together. "I see how you two became friends."