Chapter Ten

ANNA GRITTED HER teeth as she looked toward the wooden planks below her feet. Mama and Papa were still hiding things from her. They spoke of Ahtohallan and how they hoped to gain answers, but then proceeded not to explain what answers they were seeking. She was tired of living with all the lies.

She glanced over at Elsa, who suddenly looked sick. She was worried about her sister. Elsa had been the one screaming on deck just hours ago, but no one had even been around to yell at. Something was going on with Elsa. Something that she didn't want anyone to know. Anna had been her sister long enough to know when something was bothering her, but Elsa needed to open up. She could've gotten herself killed.

Footsteps pounded against the floor board from above, and the siege brought her mind back to the present. Papa was up there fighting and he needed help. He had taught her and Elsa when they were little how to use a sword in case it ever came necessary. She couldn't just sit down here like a scared little girl. She had to defend her father, her King.

Sounds of metal clanging together rang in her ears and she felt herself tense. She balled her hands into fists as her cheeks grew hot with anger. She was so foolish! She had remembered hearing of a mutiny just moments before Elsa fell over the railing. She should've mentioned it to Papa immediately and worried about her own pettiness later.

Releasing a deep breath, she took a step forward, but a cold hand gripped her forearm holding her back.

"I know what you're thinking, Anna," came her sister's voice. "It's too dangerous."

She twirled around, a puzzled look on her face. She gestured towards the door. "Papa's out there fighting for his life! We can't just sit here like scared damsel's. Papa taught us how to fight so let's use that knowledge to help him."

"No, Anna." She glanced past Elsa's shoulder to see Mama staring at her from Papa's chair. "Your sister's right. Let the men handle this. I don't want anything to happen to you girls."

Anna narrowed her eyes as she shook her head. "You're willing to sit here and let Papa die when we could be up there helping him?"

Mama sprang to her feet. "Of course not! I don't want anything happening to your father, but we can't afford to lose either of you girls either. Arendelle needs a ruler."

Blood boiled in her veins as she tried to keep her rage in check. "If you are so worried about the kingdom not having a ruler, you never should've left in the first place." She yanked her arm away from Elsa and backed away. "You have Elsa to reign, but I'm going to do everything in my ability to save Papa. Then, perhaps Arendelle won't need to worry about a new ruler." She grabbed a decorative sword from a plaque on the wall beside a bookcase before heading toward the door.

"Anna, wait!"

She heard Elsa's voice, but ignored her. Even if she never felt like Papa loved her as much as Elsa, maybe helping him defeat whoever was trying to take over the ship would bring their relationship closer. "I'm sorry, Elsa," she whispered back.

She flung open the door and dashed up the stairs that lead to the deck; the ship rocked back and forth flinging her from side to side as she tried helplessly to climb the stairs. She steadied her feet, moving with the sway, as she continued her climb.

She burst open the door at the top of the stairs to see Arendelle soldiers fighting amongst men who looked like royal guards, wearing knee-length black jackets with dark red accents and tall black hats to match their coats.

To her right, she found the guard who had come to warn her family backing up against the railing by two advancing soldiers.

She raised her sword in the air and charged to help out a fellow friend. She plunged the sword through the back of one man's torso, and as he slid off her sword to the ground dead, the other man spun around, his sword raised at Anna in a striking pose. In an instant, the tip of a sword protruded through his chest and he, too, fell dead.