Three Years Later

Author's Note: I live in California so I don't actually know what schools do in response to a blizzard.

**Comet's POV**

Remember that scene from Frozen when Elsa is walking up the side of the mountain and it looks like the beginning of a blizzard? Yeah, that was what it looked like on my way to school. 

I didn't think anything of it because it's February in New York City until I was sitting in Math and one of the unlatched windows was thrown open. I was falling asleep on my desk so the crash of the window swinging into the pane next to it startled me.

"Jared," Mrs. Cole pointed to the window, "Can you close that for me?"

I looked at Casper - who was also in this class - only to see that worry was written across his face. Just as Jared stood up, every single phone in the classroom started beeping and vibrating. Mrs. Cole gave us permission to look at it and I saw the county public service announcement - Blizzard. From the look on my teacher's face, I could tell she got the same notifications.

"Attention students, this is your principal speaking," Mr. Johnstone's voice scratched through the intercom, "I'm guessing that it's safe to assume that everyone has seen the blizzard warning given out by the county. Officials suspect that the storm with either more south or quiet down by the end of the day. Classes on the first floor, however, are required to move into the library."

We were on the first floor.

Mr. Johnstone's announcement ended and Mrs. Cole had us pack up. I was waiting for everyone else to finish when three texts came through from my Mom.

'Meadowlark? Where are you? 'Are you safe?

I replied with the truth and explained that I was at school and they were taking care of us. I could almost hear her sigh in relief.

'Good.' was her reply, 'Please keep me updated on what the school is saying if you can and stay safe, okay?' When I agreed, one final text came through, 'I love you, Comet.'

I texted back, 'Love you, too, Mom', then put my phone in my pocket.

"Taylor freaking out?" Casper asked, coming to my side.

"Erika this time," I corrected, "Though, I'm surprised I haven't heard from anyone else yet - knock on wood." We both rapped our knuckles against my desk twice. "What about your parents? And Milo?"

Casper laughed, "Dad's stuck in his office with Milo and Mom's in the middle of the Atlantic freaking out. The storm won't reach her there."

Mrs. Cole lead us to the library on the second floor where the librarian, Mr. Jack, greeted us. Casper and I had become friends with Mr. Jack, like we had with Ms. Anders back in middle school.

"You two okay?" Mr. Jack asked when we approached his desk.

"Yeah, we're good," Casper promised, "Though, Mr. Jack..."

The librarian rolled his eyes, "Kettle and tea bags are in the back office. Help yourselves but keep it quiet."

"You're the best," I tapped his desk before leading Casper to the office.

While we were waiting for the kettle to warm up, I got a call from Kerry.

"Hey, kidlet, are you okay?" she asked.

"Hey, Kerry, yeah. Casper and I are in school. We're fine. What about you guys?"

"We're good. Take care of yourselves - both of you, okay? I'll see you when everything quiets down, okay?"