Chapter 32 - the gift

"Fuck, that was good," Lewis said after finishing off his last slice of pizza. "But obviously, not as good as anything you could have made."

They were both sprawled out on the sofa, letting their food go down.

"Obviously," Keira agreed with a smile, turning her head to look at him.

He grinned, taking her hand. "I've missed this."

"I know, I bet you don't get much time for pizza when you're travelling," she said, squeezing his fingers.

"Keir, I meant that I miss spending time with you," he chuckled, shaking his head, causing his hair to fall across his face.

"I know, I'm joking," she said with a quiet laugh. "I've missed this too."

"So, two months, eh?" he mused, leaning his head back into the cushions and staring up at the ceiling. "Where did time go?"

Keira shuffled closer to him, resting her head on his chest as his arm fell around her shoulders, tucking her closely into his side.

"It feels like only yesterday when we were on our first date," she said, listening to the soft beat of his heart beneath her ear.

"I was shitting myself that day," he admitted, laughing lightly.

Keira blinked, tilting her head up to look at him. "Really?"

"Oh yeah," he said, meeting her eye. "It's not every day that I get to spend time with a gorgeous girl. I thought I was destined for rejection."

Keira frowned. "I was the one that texted you first, remember? I thought you'd be the one rejecting me."

"Well, I'm bloody glad no rejection took place," he said, one corner of his mouth lifting upwards into a half smile.

"So am I," she replied, hugging him tightly. "You really think I'm gorgeous then?"

Keira giggled as Lewis began playing with her hair, twirling it between his fingers.

"Is that even a question?" he said, his voice low and raspy. "You're beautiful. And I still can't quite believe you're mine."

"Now who's turned into the romantic?" she teased before kissing his lips.

Lewis smiled against her before pulling away. "I only have you to blame. You've made me lose my cool-guy edge."

"Wait, you had a cool-guy edge to begin with?" she laughed, tilting her head to one side.

"Don't act like you hadn't noticed it," he said, lazily continuing to comb his fingers through her hair.

"Hey, I almost forgot," she said, reluctantly pushing up from the sofa and out of his arms. "Since it's a special occasion, I decided to get you something."

She quickly hurried into her bedroom to fetch the gift. It was packaged into a small white bag, tied at the top with a delicate satin ribbon.

"Eh? You really shouldn't have," he said, watching as she returned with it in her hands.

She settled beside him again on the sofa before placing the bag in his lap.

"Keira, I haven't . . . I-I didn't-" he rambled, looking apologetic.

She shushed him, kissing his cheek. "It's okay. It's not really a proper gift anyway. I just want you to have it."

"Thank you," he said, reaching for her hand and squeezing it once.

"You don't even know what it is yet," she laughed. "Go on, open it."

He turned away from her, beginning to pull the ribbon loose and peeking inside. As he realised what it was, he swallowed, his lips beginning to curve into a smile.

Lewis reached inside, slowly retrieving the brass key she'd left in there for him. He folded it carefully in his palm, clutching it like it was worth everything he owned.

"You're here all the time anyway," Keira said, excitement already zapping through her. "You should at least be able to let yourself in and out whenever you want."

His gaze flickered up to hers and the light in his eyes was enough to make her heart melt.

"Keira, this means so much to me," he said, his voice breaking slightly. "Thank you."

"I love you," she whispered.

Lewis placed the key down gently on the coffee table before pulling her into his arms. She slid onto his lap, wrapping her arms behind his neck.

"I love you, too," he said quietly as his fingertips slowly grazed down her spine.

She took his face in her hands, holding him as their eyes met. Keira was lost for words, swallowed by his gaze.

Slowly, she leant towards him and kissed him softly. He gripped her tightly, deepening the kiss before rising to his feet with her in his arms. She locked her legs around his waist, not breaking her lips from his as he began to walk them towards her bedroom.

She kissed him like every kiss might be their last. Like each moment counted.

And in the end, they really did have the perfect night.