Jeongguk didn't fail to notice that Jimin's left fin was spread wide again.

Figuring that the male hadn't lied, he mentally noted to himself that he just had to adapt to Jimin's personality. He simply was the total opposite of Taehyung, and he blamed it on himself for not knowing how to deal with it.

Stopping his actions because he couldn't reach Jimin's gills like this and knowing the sad tension from him dissipated, he only chuckled since the merman didn't even move.

"You good there?"

"Never been better."

Laughing loudly, the younger threw his head back.

"So are we on good terms?" Jimin asked to make sure, heart pumping in his throat.

"Yeah, we're good."

Breathing out in relief, Jimin giggled.
"Jeongguk-ssi, I really need to go home now. I've been here for far too long.."

"Alright, get home safely then. I'll see you soon."

Jimin nodded, pushing himself back into the water. Before leaving, he looked back once more.

"See you next time! I hope you'll touch my gills again." His face flushed pink once he realised he said the last sentence out loud, which wasn't supposed to happen.

"Hmm, no."

Jeongguk bit his lip at the face Jimin made, feeling bad. He looked downright devastated.

"I'm just kidding, chill! Sure, I guess? We're friends, after all."

Jimin showed off his pearly whites one last time before ducking back under water, disappearing out of sight.

With that, the human stood up and slowly began walking back to his apartment. However, he couldn't get his mind wrapped around a few things.

Deciding to just leave it be, his next thought was all about Taehyung, and how much he missed him.

────🐚────

Sipping his tea rather loudly, Seokjin looked at his best friend who seemed to be rather busy.

"What are you even thinking about? You look like your brain is about to burst."

Jeongguk turned to look at his best friend's face, his caring eyes now kind of hurting him inside. After all, Seokjin has done so much for him, yet, Jeongguk's keeping all kinds of secrets from him 'since he mustn't trust anyone with this kind of information.'

He feels terrible for thinking Seokjin wouldn't be able to keep it to himself. Of course he could, he knows that.

But with Taehyung in the back of his mind..

Sighing, he put down his coffee and he bit his tongue.

"What would you do if you have a secret you really want to tell someone, but it isn't yours to share?"

Seokjin was surprised at the sudden question. His brows furrowed and he sunk back into his wooden chair.

"Do you have a secret you want to tell someone?" Jeongguk stared at Seokjin, shrugging at his words.

"Well.." The elder spoke up again, "Who is it you want to tell the secret to? How well do you know the person?"

The younger grinned, "I know him really, really well."

Seokjin smiled in assumption, "Do you trust the person? Are you guys close?"

He smiled back, "I trust the person more than anything. We're really close, he cares a lot for me. He protected me when it was needed."

Seokjin then added, "How does it feel to keep the secret? I guess you want to tell this person because it's hard to keep for yourself. Do you trust the person enough to know that he wouldn't spill it to someone else?"

Jeongguk thought about it. Yes, he really, really wanted to tell someone. This secret was indeed hard to bare alone, especially since he gets reminded of it daily. For the well-being of Taehyung, he keeps his mouth shut. But he could trust Seokjin with his life. He could already imagine how great it would be to conversate about the matter.

"I trust him with my whole heart. I really want to tell him since it's a secret that's hard to keep for myself. But it isn't exactly my secret. It isn't my story to tell, but I do trust the person enough to know that he wouldn't tell someone else."

"So you think that the person who originally owns the secret minds you telling it to him?"

Jeongguk sighed, also sinking back in his chair.

"I don't know. He trusts me, I know that, but I don't know if he'd trust a person that isn't me."

Seokjin softly got a hold of Jeongguk's hand on the table, squeezing it gently.

"It's me, right? The person you want to tell it to?"

The younger nodded, turning his gaze to the table.

"Why don't I just meet the person? See if he likes me?"

Eyes widened at that, he quickly shook his head. "I don't think that's such a good idea, hyung. You see, he doesn't really like─ uh, people, that much.."

"I promise you, I won't tell anyone. You can trust me, Jeonggukkie. You know that."

The younger stared back into the elder's reassuring, caring eyes. Gathering courage, his heart palpitated in his chest.

He squeezed Seokjin's hand back and whispered out,

"Mermen exist."