16: The Pied Piper

Start from the beginning

"First of all, if it was, you would've been able to sense it so don't even try to pull that bullshit. Secondly, why do you just assume I've been unfaithful when you were the one who broke our mate bond first—with Hera," I clarify, my words just as pointed as his.

His eyes flash black for only a second before he exhales sharply and steps out from behind his desk, "You're right." Slowly, he approaches me. Part of me wants to flee, but the other part knows he'll love the chase and doesn't want to give him the satisfaction. "I'm sorry," He stops right in front of me and slowly curls his fingers around mine.

"I-It's fine," I mumble, still looking at anything but him.

He tilts my head back by my chin until our lips are brushing. Right when I think he's going to kiss me, he murmurs, "What were you doing, Isabelle?"

I pull away at his statement and take a few steps back once more, attempting to keep a clear head. "You really want to know?"

He cocks an eyebrow as if to say obviously and I exhale, shaking out my sweaty palms. "I met Hayes when I-I—" I meet his eyes and finish my statement, "when I sent the letter to the Council... the American Council of Werewolves."

His eyes open wide and his brow shoots up, "What?" He questions, deathly quiet.

"He-He—uh sent it for me."

Jaxon stares at me for a long time. I'm unsure of how long we stand there, suspended in time with him staring at me. The air in the room thickens and becomes stale in my throat as dust floats across my vision in the stream of light that's just begin to shine in through the window to my right.

"Jaxon," I finally say, taking a step toward him but he interrupts me.

"The meet is happening soon. You need to get down to the salt line so we can rescue my baby sister," He moves past me, barely brushing his shoulder against mine.

"Jaxon," I spin, following his movement, but he continues out the door and down the hall. I hesitate momentarily, but then decide to follow him out. The wind whips at my dress as I step out of the small mansion and Jaxon, Grant, and Neil are standing in a small circle a few feet from the steps. Their eyes glance over me as I approach them. The wind excessively tears from side to side, manipulating my dress and hair while also throwing me a little off balance.

Grant grips my arm to steady me, but immediately lets go when Jaxon glares at him. "Ready to do this?" Neil asks and I shrug.

"More than I'll ever be, I guess," I clear my throat, observing Jaxon who is blatantly looking away from me.

"Okay then," Neil stretches out the first word as he flits his eyes between us. "Let's head to the salt line. We can take the golf cart for most of the way, then we'll need to head on by foot."

I nod in understanding and follow them to the golf cart a few feet away. I sit on the back with Grant when Neil and Jaxon occupy the front seat. I turn around to give the back of his head another glance before Neil jolts into drive and I have to turn forward and hold on.

"Fighting?" Grant mumbles. I'm unsure if Jaxon can hear him because of the sound of the golf cart, leaves below us, and the window around us.

"I guess so," I mutter back, watching the trees streak around us as we pass by them.

"You just have to let him cool off, you know how he can be," Grant's attempt to console me does the opposite.