book 2 - chapter 3

Start from the beginning

I nod at him, stating that I'm okay with the idea, and interlock my arm with his.

As I walk side by side with Iroh, I see Mako grab Korra's hand and begin to lead her in the direction of the water-guns stand. They have wooden cutouts of my granddad with flying lemurs that rise when the water hits them for the longest and most stable amount of time. The flying lemur that gets to the top first, wins. It seems weird to see such an important historical figure like my grandfather used as a prop for the festival, but since it's the holidays, I guess people get over-excited.

The four of us take a seat and begin pressing down the water-gun when the buzzer goes off.

"Unalaq offered to train me." Korra suddenly says – mostly to Mako, but since we're all in the same stand, Iroh and I can both manage to hear. "He says he can teach me about the spirits and my connection to them."

Iroh looks at me pointedly, as if suggesting that now would be a good time to say something about the manner. I shake my head at him and purse my lips, leaving myself out of the conversation.

"Sounds good." Mako pipes in. "What does Tenzin think?"

I turn to look at Korra, awaiting her answer, as curiosity gets the best of me. "Tenzin thinks I'm his prisoner." She remarks sassily, making me furrow my eyebrows. "Or one of his kids. I'll never finish training with him in charge."

Frustration getting the best of the Avatar, her water-gun suddenly starts shooting water at double the rate, indicating that she's bending it as a method of emotional release. Her lemur shoots up and finishes before either of the rest of ours reach the middle of the pole. I sigh at the sight of Korra's emotional outburst.

"And we have a winner!" Korra receives a big flying bison plushie that honestly looks very adorable. We leave the stand to head to another, with the couple barely paying any attention to Iroh and I.

With them walking ahead of us, I see her lift her plushie in admiration. "I mean, you heard what Unalaq said. The South is spiritually unbalanced, and it's the Avatar's job to fix it. But, my dad won't even let me think about Unalaq teaching me."

"Maybe he has a point." I snap, getting frustrated at how easily manipulated she can be. "Your uncle doesn't live here; he doesn't know a thing about us Southerners or our spirituality. Your dad is Chief. Have you even stopped to consider that he knows what he's doing?"

She sighs furiously and meets her eyes with mine. "Oh, now you want to talk?" She spats. I roll my eyes; she's angry when I don't talk to her and she's angry when I do. I never should've said anything. When I only stare at her in silence, she turns to her boyfriend. "Well?"

"Well, what?" Mako queries innocently. He's pretty clueless about Korra, now that I think of it. If I know Korra, she just wants someone to tell her that she's making the right choice right now.

"What do you think I should do? Who do you think is right?" She asks him.

He smiles softly at her. "I guess you should do what you think is right!" Mako replies with glee. "And, maybe Luna has a point, you should talk to your dad and try to understand why he's so hesitant about your uncle teaching you. But, I support whatever decision you make."

Korra is looking at her boyfriend with an unamused face. "So, you're just going to take her side? That's no help."

"I thought you wanted me to be supportive, I'm just seeing the good in both sides." Mako retorts while raising an eyebrow. "Now, you want me to tell you what I think? I think you just make up your mind!"

Then, his girlfriend slams the plushie in his chest and storms away. I sigh and step forward next to Mako and turn to look at him. "Next time just tell her what she wants to hear, flame boy. She's going to do it anyways."