book 1 - chapter 8

A few days after the whole incident with the equalist rally and my heart-to-heart with Mako, Korra and I decide that it's best for us to take it slow for a while. I forgave her for blindsiding me with the promise that she wouldn't do it again. We have been at Air Temple Island for the past few days, Korra has been concentrating on her airbending training and from time to time I help her with her waterbending, as she needs to sharpen up now that she's a pro-bender.

Tonight, Korra and I are on the courtyard waiting for my aunt and uncle to call us to dinner. She's reviewing some of her airbending moves as I'm petting Naga. We have some soft jazz music playing on the radio.

"You look stiff." I comment. "You okay?"

"I'm fine." She says dryly.

"You're not." I contradict. Then turn to grab Naga's face, making a baby voice at her. "Korra is lying isn't she, Naga? There's something she's not telling us, right Naga?" Naga barks in return and wags her tail, making me giggle.

"Don't use my polar bear dog against me." Korra deadpans.

"Don't lie and I won't." I retort. My best friend sighs.

"It's just that—"

Korra is interrupted when the radio music is suddenly cut off. "Good evening, my fellow equalists." A voice commands from the radio. Our eyes widen. I get goosebumps. "This is your leader, Amon. As you have heard the Republic Council has voted to make me public enemy number one, proving once again that the bending oppressors of this city will stop at nothing to quash our revolution."

Korra's face shows plain fear. I see sweat droplets sliding down her cheek. It's barely noticeable, but she's trembling. I can't stop staring at my best friend. Is this what's been bothering her so much? Is she afraid of Amon?

The equalist leader continues. "But we cannot be stopped. Our numbers grow stronger by the day. You no longer have to live in fear. The time has come for benders to experience fear. So, my follow—"

I cut off the radio and turn to face my best friend, who is frozen staring off at the distance. "Kor, talk to me. I'm worried about you."

She snaps out of her thoughts and turns to look at me. She regains her composure and wipes the sweat off her forehead. "I have no idea what you're talking about, Luna. I'm excellent. Nothing could be going better for me now."

She's lying. I furrow my brows and look at her intently.

"That's a load of cra—"

"Girls!" I hear Aunt Pema call. "Dinner is ready."

Korra looks relieved and turns to me. "You heard Pema, Luna." She says patting her stomach. "Time for dinner."

With that said, she scurries off into the dining room. I roll my eyes and follow suit. Once we're at the dining table, I see that Jinora and Ikki are sitting together on one side of the table, Uncle Tenzin and Meelo are at the other and that Pema and Korra are at the other two remaining sides. I sit next to Pema and diagonal to Korra.

As we all settle down, Uncle Tenzin begins: "We are grateful for this delicious food. For happiness, for compassion, and—"

"I'm not interrupting, am I?" A voice says, startling me. I look up to see a man that is dressed in Water Tribe formal attire. He has long hair that is separated into small loops and braids. Just by him interrupting my uncle's gratitude mantra and him storming into his home, I get an awfully bad vibe from him. I narrow my eyes at the man.

"This is my home, Tarrlok." My uncle responds angrily. "We're about to eat dinner."

"Good, because I am absolutely famished." He retorts cockily. "Airbenders never turn away a hungry guest, am I right?"