book 1 - chapter 6

"Your best friend is a...polar bear dog." Mako says wearily, as he, Korra and I are on top of Naga's saddle, beginning the search for Bolin. "Somehow that makes perfect sense."

I chuckle. Korra smiles. "I'll take that as a compliment, city boy." My best friend retorts.

Mako guides us to a plaza that has an enormous statue of Lord Zuko when he was younger in the center of it. I look at it in admiration. I haven't seen him in years, yet I always wish for our paths to cross again. I owe Lord Zuko my life.

"Well, this is his usual hangout." Says Mako, snapping me out of my thoughts. I look around and scan the place. No sign of Bolin.

Mako proceeds to get off Naga's saddle. Korra and I get off Naga and follow Mako's steps. He spots some kids that are playing around the plaza. He approaches them.

"You guys seen my brother around here today?" Mako asks them.

"Perhaps." A kid with a cap answers smugly. "My memory's a little...foggy. Maybe you can help clear it up."

I raise my eyebrow at the kid. He knows we need this information and he's taking advantage. I narrow my eyes. "You're good, skoochy. A real pro." Mako says to him as he gives him a wad of cash. Anger starts fuming inside of me, we need that money for the championship pot.

"Yeah, I've seen him." The kid answers, putting the money away.

"When?"

"About noon."

"What was he doing?"

"He was performing some kind of monkey-rat circus. And then..." The kid stretches out his hand, indicating that he'll keep talking if we give him more money.

Just as Mako was about to give him the wad of cash, I interfere. "That's enough, kid." I hiss. I grab him by the collar of his shirt and pin against the base of the statue. I waterbend water out of my flask, hold it in my hand, and freeze it. I point it at his face. "Talk. Now."

"Okay, okay!" He says, his eyes in alarm. "Then, 'Shady' Shin showed up and flashed him some serious cash. Bo took off with him in his hot rod. The Triple Threats, the Red Monsoons, the Agni Kais...all the triads are muscling up for something real big. Now let me go!"

I let the kid go and he runs away with his friends. I turn to face Mako and Korra.

"Impressive." Korra says with a smirk.

"Yeah." Mako agrees, smiling at me. "Never pegged you for the type to lose your temper."

"He pushed my buttons." I say shrugging, "We worked hard for that money. What now?" I say, asking Mako.

"Well, it sounds like there's a turf war brewing, and Bolin is about to get caught right in the middle of it. Let's go."

We all proceed to get back on Naga. "So where are we headed?" Asks Korra.

"The Triple Threat Triad's headquarters." Mako answers. "Hopefully Bolin's there and nothing's gone down yet."

"Triple Thread Triad?" Asks Korra, as Naga's pace slowly picks up. "I beat up some of those yahoos when we got into town. Why would Bolin get tangled up with—"

Korra's sentence is interrupted by Naga starting to run at full force. It seems that she's chasing something. She growls.

"Whoa Naga!" Korra says, trying to calm her polar bear dog down. She suddenly halts in front of a pole. I see up to notice that it's Bolin's fire ferret who Naga was chasing.

"That's Pabu!" Mako exclaims.

Naga barks as she tries to eat him. "No, Naga!" Korra scolds. "Pabu's a friend not a snack."