Part 1: Encounter

I plopped down on the park bench warily, puffing out a cloud of icy air as my body crumpled and nearly melted into the cheaply constructed wood. The wetness from the slush seeped into my parka, numbing my back and my mind. My breath casually evaporated into the atmosphere like a dispersing dream, paling into nothing the moment you woke up.

        The day by far was a disaster. The morning started out with an armful of knitted problems, one after another. I woke up an hour late, almost burned down the kitchen with my clumsiness, argued with my usually disagreeable mother, and missed the bus not once; but twice. Needless to say, I was already drained.

        Every single week was a rinse-wash-repeat cycle that goes on a broken loop. School, work, home. School, work, home. Work was beginning in thirty minutes, and I was nowhere near anticipation. What was there to look forward to when everything is always the same? I closed my eyes and attempted to muster up optimistic thoughts.

        When my mind failed to summon them, I groaned and jabbed the home button on my phone. There was no new texts, no replies, nothing but a blank screen reminding me how much time I was wasting alone. Obviously, coming here wasn't helping. Instead of relaxing, I was freezing cold and shivering on a dirty bench in a empty park.

        "I wish there was someone to talk to!" I shouted in frustration, only meeting the brief echo of my own voice and the silent, musty gray skies.

       Yes, I was that desperate. Here was an eighteen-year-old girl in her first year of college, working part-time with little to no friends and plenty of problems. Badly timed outbursts were only a minor thing.

        Suddenly, my phone began to ring. In my shock, I watched as it slipped and tumbled out of my gloved hands.

        "No!" I yelped in horror. Helplessly, I dived after it, falling to the snowy ground face first. Lifting my head, I spat out the cool taste of melted snow and batted the flakes from my face.

        "Could my day get any worse?" I mumbled to myself.

        Instantly, a great breeze rolled past the evergreen trees, weaving through them like a domino effect. A shower of snow soared majestically from the leaves and sank deep into the ground. I squeezed my eyes shut, holding one arm up to block the impact. The air stilled around me, circling and sinking before settling on the snow.

        When I opened my eyes, I nearly fell back on the ground. Infront of my gaping face was a man. I stared in awe as I watched him stand up from his crouched position, his movements as serene as the night sea, as delicate as a blossom lifting off a branch.

      There was a thin veil on the either side of his body, cradling him. I blinked rapidly, and the outlines disappeared with a shudder, gone as quickly as it came. A trail of light lifted off his frame and illuminated his figure.

       I felt moderately lightheaded as I tore my eyes away from him, my heart beating in astonishment, confusion, even fear. Where did he emerge from? Who is he? He's normally clothed, like any normal teenage boy you would see on the streets. His actions were normal as well, with him brushing the snowflakes off his jeans and running his fingers through his hair.

     "It can't be coincidental that this just happened right after I said something, right?" I murmured to myself, wringing my hands together. I stole another peek at him, taking in the side view of his face. His skin was the purest white, pale and appearing to merge perfectly into the snowy ground. His bronze brown hair curled underneath his ears and chin, framing his aquiline features.

        He's so beautiful. He looks like a statue, or a painting, I thought, looking away and focusing on my nervous hands instead. My eyes widened as I sensed his presence move closer, his footsteps leaving barely any prints in the thick winter snow. I looked up in time just to glance directly into his eyes.

        I've never seen eyes of such a colour, pastel purple with a tint of turquoise. They were bright and dewy, reflecting my silhouette in them.

      "Who are you?" I blurted out in curiosity. Silence stretched between us, but it was peaceful, comfortable. I watched as the corners of his lips curled up, releasing a breath that could be a tinkle of a laugh, or a fragment of a sigh.

        "My name is...Winter," he replied with a soft, smooth baritone voice.

        "Win..ter?" I replied, baffled. "Like the season?"

        "Like the season," he laughed, and my shoulders relaxed. His laugh was sweet and contagious. "What's your name?"

        "I'm Caroline," I threw out my hand and shook his hand.

        "Caroline. What an elegant name," the man smiled.

        "Hah, I'm everything but elegant, thank you very much," I snorted, then realized that I was still shaking his hand. "Ah! Sorry." I let go immediately, flushing with mortification.

        "I'm such an idiot," I muttered underneath my breath and crushed my gloves against my face, wishing that they could smother my flamed cheeks.

        "I don't think you're an idiot," Winter shrugged and sat down on the bench beside me. I turned away, feeling overcome with a wave of embarrassment again. He heard me!

        They really meant it when they say don't challenge your luck and asking if things can get worse. Because they can. I'm sorry. I'm really, really sorry. I regret it now. I'll never do it again.

      "Thank you," I answered with a timid cough. "Umm...then, where are you from?" I asked hurriedly, hoping to distract him from the previous topic.

        He tilted his head to survey me, folding his arms over his striped sweater. After a few moments of complete silence, he finally spoke up again.

        "It's a secret," he said simply.

        I pressed my lips together, unable to utter an answer to his reply. A secret? That sounds pretty shady...

        I jolted as my phone vibrates in my pocket. I opened it, checking my text messages. One new message from my co-worker, Lindy.

        Where r u??? The black text flashed menacingly on the screen. Boss is looking for u!! We have work early 2day! 

         A million curses flitted across my mind as I stumbled out of my seat and onto the clear pathway.

          "I'm going to be late for work! I'm sorry, I have to leave right now," I gasped frantically.

        "I'll go with you," Winter stood up calmly, unaffected by my display of panic. "You work at the Covan Café, don't you?"

        "Yes, I do..." I snapped my head back in shock. "How do you know I work there?!"

        "If you're afraid I'm a stalker, don't be," He answered with a nonchalant tone. "I won't be going anywhere, though. Not without you."

     I stood with my mouth hanging open in disbelief. I stared at my phone and back at him repeatedly, optioning whether to dial 911 or not. Before I could decide, my phone lit up with another message from Lindy. Ur getting fired if u don't get here in 2 mins!

        I gasped and swallowed all my doubts. "Okay, you can come with me. If you happen to be a stalker, then I'll definitely release my black belt karate skills on you. Don't think I can't." I added.

        "Karate skills? I'll look forward to that."

        "Wait. Does that mean you're really a stalker?!"

        "Hmm. I don't know, may—OW!"

        Stifling a laugh, I rushed away as he called after me, hobbling on one foot unevenly.

        Together, our footsteps matched each other's pace as we sprinted out of the park and into the city streets.