Chapter 9

Sound the Alarm

The day had been slow going, which seemed all together odd. This was the famous Bondi Beach for crying out loud and yet at nearly 3:00 in the afternoon, Hadlee's first day had been very uneventful. The most interesting thing that had happened all day was when a mother had knocked on the back door with a screaming 2-year-old in her arms who had stubbed his toe while riding his scooter along the promenade. The poor mother apologized profusely for all of the noise that her son was making. Hadlee felt bad for the woman, she looked exhausted and the boy was just scared, the shock of what had happened was more likely the culprit of the screaming than the pain. Soon though, Hadlee had him laughing and happily eating an ice pop. With his toe bandaged and a high-five for Hadlee, she sent the boy and his mother on their way. However, in retrospect Hadlee should have expected what came next, Mouse was on the beach after all.

Hadlee was up in the tower with Chappo, Beardy, and Tommy when the call came in.

"Mass rescue in the South corner, I'm going in." Harrison's voice came over the radio.

Immediately four sets of eyes swept straight over to the South corner just in time to see Harrison running into the water to help the other lifeguards.

~~~~~~~

Harrison paddled hard out to the pack of swimmers that had gotten themselves in trouble. Jethro, Harries, and Deano were already out, trying to keep as many of the swimmers afloat as they could but there were too many of them to get them all in without more help. To make matters worse with four lifeguards in the water, only Jules was left to patrol the remaining kilometer of beach. They had to do this fast.

"Ah, Harrison, come to join the fun?" Harries quipped as Harrison sat up on his board.

Harrison laughed.

"You guys start taking people in, I'll stay here." Harrison told the others.

They nodded and each took two people onto their boards and began paddling back, leaving Harrison with four people to attempt to keep afloat until somebody can make the trip back.

"They'll be back soon." Harrison promised the people.

Harrison had hoped that they spoke at least a little English but by the blank expressions that he received, he knew that his hope was misplaced. The four swimmers clung to his board tight and Harrison was having to constantly shift to the left and right to keep his balance. He was looking around casually when something caught his attention. He didn't think much of it, until he saw it again.

"Shit," He muttered and tried to find the shadow again. "Please don't be what I think it is."

Harrison pulled his feet out of the water and carefully pushed himself onto his knees so that he could see into the dark water a bit better. And that's when he knew that he was in trouble.

~~~~~~~

Hadlee was sitting on the desk watching the small figure of her brother as the three men in the tower watched the water.

"What the fuck is he doin." Beardy muttered, standing up and leaning forward as he looked through his binos.

"Who?" Hadlee asked.

"Your brother," Beardy clarified. "Is he dancing?"

"Dancing." Hadlee deadpanned, not believing Beardy's judgment.

"I am not kidding," Beardy said, passing the binos to Hadlee so that she could see for herself. "Take a look."

Hadlee breathed out a sigh and took the binoculars.