Chapter 15

It was impossible for you to hide your horror. 'There is no way in hell,' you thought. 'The sign said beware of lips, and probably for a good reason. There is no way in hell that Ib and I ...' Your thoughts trailed off, however, after a glance at Ib. Her tiny hands were balled up in fists at her side, and she seemed to be trembling. However, her face was stoic, brow furrowed in determination. "Let's do it ________."

       The realization dawned on you that this girl was likely scared out of her mind. This world and its inhabitants were definitely not the type of struggles you could have handled as a child. But here she was, putting on a brave face, trudging onward, and trying to help you as well. Both of you clearly knew there was no other way forward ...

       So what were you waiting for?

       Slowly, you took a long, steadying breath, before exhaling it in a, "R-Right." You took a moment to give Ib a gentle smile and reassuring pat on her head. "I'll go in first."

       The mouth had opened up once again, revealing pitch dark and rows of unending teeth, but you steeled your nerves and stepped through. It seemed like the darkness melted away almost immediately, revealing the hallway beyond almost immediately. "It's okay to come through, Ib!" you called back.

       There was a delay. You couldn't hear anything on the other side of the dark doorway before you. "I-Ib?" you shouted again, worry rising in your voice.

       Suddenly, you were bowled over by a blur of brown and red, knocking the wind out of you as you both collapsed to the floor. Ib immediately sat up, eyes wide. "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I ... I thought it would just be easier to run through ..."

       Despite your current winded condition, you managed to wheeze out an "It's fine ..." before you gasped and let in more air. "I'm just ..." (another gasp) "... glad your safe."

       Slowly, you hauled yourself to your feet. "All right," you said rather hoarsely. "Let's get going."

       You hadn't noticed before, but there were several paintings lining the left wall. Paintings of a ... guillotine. Charming. As you and Ib walked along the hall, though, you noticed the blade of the guillotine was being lifted up in the paintings until ... it ... disappeared. You slowed your pace, but it seemed Ib hadn't noticed.

       As soon as you noticed, you looked up and saw it. "Ib!" you screamed. She startled at your exclamation, and stopped just shy of the stairs, where the blade slammed down in front of her, then slowly retracted back into the ceiling. The floor beneath the impact had cracked, but Ib didn't seem to notice as she slowly slid to her knees. Her eyes were wide, face pale.

       "Ib, are you all right?" you asked, running to her side and dropping to your knees as well. It was then that you noticed the thick trails of tears running down her cheeks.

       Her tiny body shook with fear, and her large, teary eyes slowly shifted to look at you. "I-I don't want to d-do this anymore _______ ... I wanna go home!" she wailed, burying her face in her hands.

       Immediately, your heart sank. "Oh, Ib ..." you murmured, leaning forward to scoop her into a hug. She followed your prompting, pressing into your chest like you were the last person in the world (which you very well might be) as she sobbed. You cradled her in your arms and rocked back and forth slowly, humming a quiet, soothing tune. Occasionally you would intersperse the humming with quiet affirmations, things like, "You're going to be all right ..." or "Everything will be okay ..."

       After a while, her crying subsided to quiet sniffles, and you gave her a final squeeze before holding her at arm's length and looking her in the eye. "We're going to get out of this, I promise," you reassured, startling yourself with the confidence you said it with. So you emphasized again, just to be sure. "I promise."

       Ib nodded and used her sleeve to wipe her tears away from her now-puffy cheeks. "Thank you ..."

       You offered another smile and gave her another quick hug. "Anytime." Then you stood, dusted your knees off, and offered your hand to Ib, who took it and stood as well. Cautiously, the two of you proceeded down the stairs.