Chapter 14

After all the numbers had been gathered, the two of you were left with a bit of a problem. While yes, you were older than Ib, and yes you had technically completed algebra, you weren't sure you could trust yourself enough to do math fully in your head. Especially not a cryptic equation with color-coded numbers you weren't even sure were correct ... 

       "Ugh, um ... Ib, remember uh ... remember two for me," you said hesitantly, trying to make sure the final digit of the 9*18 part of the equation didn't get lost in your head. 'After that you have the seven ... plus ... nine ... sixteen?' "One hundred sixty-two," you breathed, "and then plus four would be one hundred sixty-six!"

       Ib kind of cocked her head at you, not quite sure what you had been muttering about this whole time, but was nonetheless pleased at your triumphant look and provided a tiny applause.

       Chuckling, you gave a flourish of a bow, stating, "Thank you, thank you." This caused Ib to giggle. 

       After a few more moments of double-checking to make sure your math was spot on, you hesitantly walked up to the door with the number pad lock. "Stay back, Ib," you cautioned before leaning in to key in the numbers. 'One ... six ... six ...'

       There was a long pause, which seemed strange for a world that liked to throw immediately loud and painful punishments at the two of you at any given moment to do. You took this opportunity to step back by Ib, ducking around the door frame to ensure your safety if it just so happened to release some horrible monster. Instead, you were very pleasantly surprised when you heard a satisfying click, followed by the door creaking open ever so slightly. 

       You and Ib shared a delighted grin before you took the initiative and slowly opened the door, revealing ... an orchard of tree sculptures, one with a wooden apple resting in the center of its false leaves, and one solitary painting of an apple on a branch across the room. Your grin immediately vanished. Wasn't this supposed to be the way through? Ib must have noticed the look on your face, because she quietly asked, "What is it?"

       "Oh, it's uh ... not the way forward, but ..." you strode over to the apple and, with a hearty tug, yanked it off of the sculpture, "I think our mouthy friend down the hall might be more cooperative if he's provided a snack."

       Ib's brow crinkled, and she seemed to scowl (if that were possible for someone as young and sweet as her). "But that's just a wood apple, you can't eat those." It was barely audible, but she added under her breath, "I know, I've tried ..."

        You were unable to prevent yourself from letting out a quiet snort of laughter. "I don't know, maybe the mouth has stronger teeth than we do. Let's give it a try." 

       On the way back to the lips, you had encountered another flailing black hand (this one was also met with the heel of your shoe to its fingertips), but other than that the walk back was uneventful. Once again, you encouraged Ib to stay back as you approached the lips, apple grasped firmly in your hand. 

       This time, the mouth was much more outspoken about its predicament, moaning and growling, occasionally breaking out into the same display of gnashing its teeth that had frightened you off once before. "Hungry ..." it moaned, sending chills down your spine. Still, however, it didn't seem to notice your presence. 

       Summoning all your courage, you piped up. "Excuse me?"

       The mouth immediately went silent. 

       "I, uh--" you started, but were cut off. 

       "That food," it growled. "Give it to me." Slowly, the mouth opened, far wider than a human jawbone would normally allow for, leaving a large, gaping hole in the wall filled with nothing but darkness and teeth.

       You gave Ib a nervous glance, and she seemed to be just as perturbed as you were. For a while you were hesitant. You didn't want to get close enough to get bitten; that just seemed like asking for trouble. Then an idea dawned on you. Slowly, you drew your arm back behind your shoulder, holding the apple flush against your palm before you flung it as hard and fast as you could. You had never been great at sports in PE, but you were sure that pitch would have been a strike, had you been playing softball.

       Almost instantly, there was a horrendously loud crunching sound. The lips managed to keep most of the apple inside, but a few splinters shot out wickedly fast in your direction, prompting you to duck with a yelp of, "Fuck!"

       The lips didn't seem to mind, though, as it chomped away at its prize. If anyone in your life had ever made you irritated with their loud eating, the memory paled in comparison to the loud crunching, slurping, smacking, and ... disturbing moaning that the mouth made. Ib made a somewhat grossed out face as it ate, clearly disturbed by the excess of noise as well.

       After a few moments of this (and your lifting yourself up from the floor), the lips finally let out a long, satisfied sigh. "That tasty ... I let you pass now." And then something you definitely didn't want to hear. 

       "Go through my mouth."

______________________________________________________________________________________

AN: Incoming chapter bomb. I told myself I wasn't letting myself stop writing until we get to Garry, dammit. Enjoy!