Once the host begins his segment, I find it very hard to focus throughout the event since my mind keeps drifting back to Detective Landford's words from a month ago.

The sudden vibration in my purse causes me to retrieve my phone.

Ironically, the new message on my phone is from him:

8:30 PM

I still haven't found anything suspicious about the guy Lolita dated in High school. So it's best to put this to rest.

Since I was certain her ex could somehow be related to her involvement in the money laundering business, this message is a huge shock to me.

Although detective Landford informed me of the guy's clean record a few weeks ago, I requested he thoroughly check his profile again in case he missed anything crucial.

The news is enough to completely distract me from the ceremony as I can't seem to wrap my head around this ordeal.

Every time I think I'm one step closer to finding the murderer, it just ends up backfiring.

Although Theo ends up winning the award, my focus is far gone.

༄ ༄ ༄

"He deserved to win."

All I do is nod, wondering how Yara persuaded me to attend the post-ESPY party.

The intense security in the ballroom is due to the great number of A-listers in the building to ban reporters or paparazzi.

Chandeliers brighten the room beautifully; a deep contrast from the pitch darkness outdoors.

The floral theme can make one mistake the event for a wedding as bouquets are found on each long rectangular shaped table; the white parson chairs giving them a finishing touch.

Some guests are sat on their tables whereas others prefer standing as they chat in groups.

As Yara and I continue to converse, an inexplicable sensation arises upon feeling like I'm being watched.

In a split second, my eyes retrace their path to his making my treacherous heart skip a beat.

Ludovic's figure rears into view causing my mind to go blank.

In his dark tuxedo, his face has an intense expression, causing the erratic sound of my heartbeat to magnify.

I curse the day his presence generated a huge effect on me.

Seeing him here of all places is enough to snatch the breath from my lungs.

Why do I always find him at the same events I attend?

After our heated argument at the restaurant a month ago, I made sure to avoid any of Stalon's party invitations knowing full well Ludovic was going to be there.

It's impossible to contain my rage around him hence I'd rather keep my distance.

It doesn't surprise me to find a raven haired girl standing beside him as they're surrounded by other well-known faces including Stalon.

"I really should learn to stop talking," Yara's voice is enough to snap me out of it, "I feel like you never listen to a word I say."

"I'm so sorry." I throw her an apologetic expression, "What were you saying?"

Yara waves a dismissive hand before flickering a glance to the other direction.

Bewilderment contorts her face upon seeing what I saw a few seconds ago.