01: mavis sallow

My alarm woke me up with a piercing scream from my phone, courtesy of Jax's many pranks

My alarm woke me up with a piercing scream from my phone, courtesy of Jax's many pranks. I groan, reaching over to turn it off. My hand searches the nightstand before finally landing on my way-too-loud-for-mornings alarm.

I should really change it... but... sleep is calling me...

"Five minutes..." I murmur, bringing my hand to my face. My five minutes was interrupted by a yell.

"MAVIS! WAKE UP! FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!" I spring up from the sudden realization that I forgot I had school today.

Sadly, this sudden realization comes almost every day.

"Damn it," I mutter under my breath, running to the bathroom to brush my teeth. I grab on my "My dog speaks more eloquently than thee" Hamilton shirt and sweats, pulling my auburn hair into a ponytail.

I check myself in the mirror for about one second before laughing at the fact that I did. Mom and Hayley were seriously rubbing off on me.

. . .

"Heeeey, Mavis," says Jax, my brother who was one year older and had a brain with the intellect of a five-year-old. "Did I tell you how much I just looove you?"

"No," I say bluntly, pouring maple syrup on my pancakes. "What do you want?"

Jax shrugs and smiled, stealing one of my pancakes. "Hey!" I yell, snatching it back as he was about to take a bite. "This is mine. You take my food, I take your life. Got it?"

"Kay, sheesh." Jax raised his hands mockingly, stealing one of Zach's pancakes instead. "I need money," he says. "200 dollars."

My fork stops midway in my mouth as I turn quizzically to him. "What about your paycheck and birthday money you got two days ago?"

Jax smiled sheepishly. "I spent it..."

I shake my head. "Oh, My, God, Jax. Seriously? All of it? That was like... $500!"

"Yea... So, $200?"

"No! You're older than me! How are you less mature?" I ask in mock shock.

Zach rolled his eyes at us, his 23 years apparently superior. "You guys are like monkeys."

I spit my chocolate milk. "Monkeys?"

Zach is about to reply when a loud thud followed by a louder stream of curse words walks downstairs.

"Morning," We all say to Dax, the polar opposite of Jax as well as his twin.

"Hey..." He says, looking half dead. "I forgot today was a school..."

So it wasn't only me...

My eyebrows shoot up off my head, Dax was the most mature and organized between all of us, including Zach.

Anyone could tell that Zach, Jax, Dax, and I were siblings. Each of us had light wispy auburn hair and hazel eyes dotted with forest-green specks. The personalities for each person, however, were similar in about zero ways.

Zach was 23, an art major, surprisingly buff and deep with the quiet dark humor that depending on the person--- can make you call 911 or smile evilly along with him. I smiled evilly along with him.

Dax was 18, the smart kid in class who couldn't care less, famous for dragging Jax and I out of unwanted situations. If you had a problem, Dax was the one to go to, with his problem-solving methods and patronizing smile.

Jax was also 18, a total highschool jock, and renowned 'bad boy'. But like all 'bad boys' he was secretly a total softie who still sleeps with a teddy bear at night. We have been at prank wars with each other since I could... well, prank.

I was 16, the youngest out of my siblings, known way too well for trying things people are too afraid to try. I'm a total Hamilton geek, Potterhead, Percabeth shipper, and book worm. But not living up to the stereotypes, I'm the captain of the girl's soccer team. (not to brag or anything...)

Dax sits down on the island next to me, pouring too much syrup on his pancake.

"You okay, dude?" I ask him. Jax, suspecting a good fail, brought out his phone and began to film. I slap his hand away, frowning at him.

Dax bobs his head. "Jax made me... stay awake... to..help him... with... stuff." His face falls in the syrup covered pancake before he comes back up, spluttering and surprised.

Jax and Zach both burst out laughing, I, however, stifled my giggles before laughing out loud.

"My, god." Says Dax, wiping the syrup off his face. A grin slowly covered his face as he began laughing with us.

. . .

I jump into Noah's jeep, sticking my tongue out at my late brothers who were hollering at the door. "Hurry up, drive!" I urge Noah as he speeds away. "They can find their own ride."

"Is that how you really say hello to your best friend after not seeing each other for one and a half months?" Asks Noah.

I smirk at him. "Why hello my dearest Noah, I have missed you so," I say sarcastically.

It wasn't that sarcastic though, I really did miss his dark hair, darker eyes, and the unbelievable ability to follow me into troublesome situations.

"My most wonderful Mavis, I have missed you more." He shoots back. "So how was living with your mother over the summer? You've changed."

I scoff. "Changed? How?"

"You look... different."

"Uh-huh," I say innocently. "It's called growing up. Did you do it too?"

"Hilarious," Noah makes an unfamiliar turn. "Very funny."

I look back. "Where are we going? Is this a shortcut?"

"Oh!" Says Noah excitedly. "Remember Ava? The girl you helped me get a few dates with?"

I could feel my stomach squeezing. "I remember her,"

"Well, we're together now."

"Really?" I say, not letting any emotion seep into my voice. "Since when?"

"Since a week ago." Noah stops at a cute house with a willow tree in the front. "This is her place."

Ava, a blonde-haired blue-eyed girl skipped out of the house and into the car. "Hey!" She says chirpily. "You must be Mavis!"

I smile back at her. "Hey! Noah couldn't stop talking about you before I left."

We talked until Noah pulled up to the school.

I hated to admit it, but I actually semi-liked Ava. Jealousy wasn't something I was used to feeling, but I definitely felt it towards Ava and Noah. They were both so alike, perfect for each other.

And Noah didn't know the real reason I left to stay with my mom and step-sister over the summer.

You probably want to know why.

So I'll tell you.

It's pretty much like this: Girl meets boy, girl falls for boy, girl never tells boy how she feels then helps boy get the girl of his dreams. Girl gets her heartbroken. Girl tries to get over boy.

Girl fails.

Drastically.

. . .

Vote. Comment. Follow.

Peanut M&M's.