thirty-four ≫ just, gone.

Start from the beginning

I hurriedly got in the drivers seat, shut the driver's door, and put the key in the ignition. I backed out of the driveway and headed in the direction of the bridge.

I wasn't thinking, obviously. I had school tomorrow, plus my parents had no idea where I was or if I was okay. I didn't seem to care. There was only one thing on my mind and that was to get to Luke before he did anything stupid. The bridge that the incident occurred on wasn't too far from my house, so within ten minutes I could see it from a distance. My eyes started to well up at the sight of a place I subconsciously dreaded. I didn't see any cars, which meant Luke wasn't here and hadn't been here. Where did he go?

I made a U-turn and started in the direction of his house. Maybe I was overreacting.. maybe he's just safe at home. Broken, but safe.

-

I rang his doorbell once. His car wasn't in the driveway; I already knew who was in the house. A false sense of hope sent me to his front door and pushed the doorbell.

"Jasmin?" Liz said, opening the door.

"Is uh.. is Luke here?" I asked, making no eye contact with her yet.

She looked at me with a concerned look, one only a mother can give. "No. Where is he?"

"I don't know." I confessed.

Then, she did the weirdest thing. She just shut the door in my face and didn't ask anymore questions about where her youngest son was. As if she didn't care.

I walked off of their porch and started to feel this awful, grinding pain in my chest. Tears brimmed my eyes at that pain- and the pain of anxiety. I was near my car when my vision blurred right before me- I backed up against one of the car doors and slid down it. My breathing was choppy and fast and I knew what was happening but didn't know who to call. I typed an A in my contacts and called the first person who came up. It rang once.

"Jas? What's up?"

"Ashton- panic attack, Luke's house." I choked out.

I looked at my hands, they were trembling terribly. Was this real? I felt as if I could die from this, and that only made it worse.

"I'm coming, Jasmin. I'm coming." Ashton rushed.

I managed to squeak out a thank you, and I expected Ashton to hang up- he didn't.

"Just breathe, alright? Out, in.. for ten seconds. I'll count with you, okay? One, two..."

He counted all the way to ten for me as I tried my best to breathe regularly. He kept this up for as long as it took him to get to where I was, and once he found me leaned up against my car he was at my side quicker than I'd thought possible.

"Oh, god, Jasmin.." He muttered, using both of his hands to grab my waist and hold me up.

He'd opened the car door and once he got me up, he sat me in the drivers seat. He was squatting down in front of me and softly saying encouraging words like, 'you'll be okay' and 'you can get through this'. By this point, I was coming down from the worst of it. Once I had complete control again I didn't hesitate on leaning in and hugging Ashton tightly. He chuckled for a moment and then hugged me back, resting his chin on my shoulder.

He pulled back, got up, and walked around to the passengers side. He got into the seat next to me and sighed. "Are you gonna tell me what's up?"

I sighed. "I kind of thought you were mad at me for what happened between Michael and I.. are you still? Like, mad at me? The reason I was like.. that had to do with that."

Ashton ran a quick hand through his floppy, golden brown hair. Then, he shrugged.

"I'm not really, anymore. It doesn't really have anything to do with me." He said.

"Well.. I told Luke. Because, he got out of the institution today.. I couldn't keep it in," I could see Ashton put his hands over his eyes, "and he just sort of.. ran off. I have no idea where to. I checked the uh- the bridge.. and I checked here but no one seemed to care that Luke was even missing. That's what got me started. I felt like since I was the only one who cared about his wellbeing, there's no way he'll get any better. And if he hates me now, who will help him?" I said, silent tears brimming my eyes.

"Jasmin, that kid loves you. There's no possible way he could go from loving you to death, to hating you." Ashton sighed. "As for him running away.. he's never done that before."

I groaned an 'oh god' and leaned my head on the top of the steering wheel.

"Jas.." Ashton started, scratching the back of his neck, "maybe you should get home. It's pretty late, and we have school tomorrow. Luke will turn up at some point."

"And what if he never does?" I muttered.

"Then we take a few days and track him down- you didn't only make him happy, he made you happy." He replied.

I nodded and wiped my eyes clean of tears. I said a thanks to Ashton, and he hugged me inside the car again. Then, he got out of my car, get into his, and drove away.

It didn't take a long time for me to get home. I was dreading my parents, though. I pulled up into the driveway and turned off the car, and sat there. I waited to get the courage to walk into my own home.

I somehow convinced myself that it wouldn't be so bad, so I got out of the car and opened the door to my house. I was greeted with quiet shouts.

"Where've you been!" My mom whisper-yelled, her eyebrows furrowed.

"With Luke, it's okay mom." I tried.

She sighed. "I tried to keep your father from wondering too much, it was hard. Don't you put me through that again!" My mom ordered.

"You're not mad at me for being out this late?" I chuckled, mentally thanking the fact that my mom was so chill about all of this.

"No, no. Have fun with him, I like him. Just don't lose him."

Her last words caused my heart to drop.

//

yay new chapter !!!

sorry this one took so long omfg i've been enjoying my winter break and stuff (~: i hope all of you are doing well nd that your holidays were great!!

+ side note;
i am writing a new michael fic, called 'windows', i recommend u checking it out because i quite like the story line and you might also!!

thanks guys! don't forget to comment and vote n all that jazz,, much love (+:

- riss