ever again • q. griggs

Start from the beginning

"Nothing. Seriously. I just went, got homework and... and then I walked home. That's about it." I get confused.

"Wait I thought Maddie was driving you home today?"

"I got held up... talking to a... a teacher. So I just told her not to wait up." She shrugs it off, giving me that slight smile from earlier. I look at Avani off camera next to me, who also shrugs.

"Okay... when are Mom and Dad coming home? I bet you miss them!"

"Umm... I'm really not sure, like at all. I called them two days ago, and they never answered or called me back, so I've just been assuming they're busy." I look at Avani again. who's head is now tilted, as confused as I am.

"Didn't they tell you when they were there last? You told me they care back for like a day or so right?" Her eyes visibly widen when I say they last part.

"Oh, uh y-yeah, a while ag-go yeah..." She looks down, and with the light it makes the skin around her eye look dark? I'll worry about that in a second. Looking down is her tell.

"Cora. Did they not come home a couple months ago?" She doesn't look up, but slightly shakes her head. Avani's eyes widen.

"When did they last come home Cora." I say, firmly. She goes to answer, but I'm interrupted by my phone ringing. It's from a Kentucky area code, where Cora and my parents, supposedly, still live so I should answer. "Hold on, Avani's gonna talk to you for a second, do not hang up." I leave them there and answer my phone, walking to another room.

"Hello?"

"Hi is this Mr. Anthony Reeves?"

"Yes?"

"Hi. I'm calling from your sister Cora's school. We couldn't get her parents to answer and you're the next contact. So we wanted to inform you of Cora's recent grade drop. Many of her teachers have now reported an attitude shift as well. She not rude, she just really won't speak. We also think there's some bullying going on, but she won't tell any teachers about it. We thought it was best to she if she would tell a family member, or if she has." My eyes are wide listening to this cheery woman tell me all of these things that are happening to my sister.

"Well she has not, but also that's a lot of things. Why is this the first I am hearing of this?"

"Well we've been trying to contact her primary guardians, but also she told us not to contact you. So we kept trying them."

"My sister is a minor. Why does she get a say in who is contacted for her safety?!" I know I'm getting angry, but I just don't understand. I thought she trusts me.

"Well sir you're not her primary guardian, and it is her privacy. But we decided also that she is a minor and that we had to contact someone."

"Okay well, thank you. I will speak to her."

"Thank you sir. Have a nice day!"

"You too." I say, much less cheerily before hanging up and walking towards the doorway. I need to relax. I push my shoulders down, trying. I'm angry because I didn't know, not because of her. So this cannot show.

I walk back in to Avani sitting in silence. With the screen showing the headboard of Cora's bed, but no Cora. Avani hears me, hits mute, and then turns towards me.

"Nothing. She won't say a word to me." She says with an upset look on her face.

"It's not your fault Avani," I say, trying to comfort her.

"I know. Who was on the phone?"

"Her school actually. I'll tell you later." Avani's eyes widen moving away from the computer and back to her chair to my left. I sit down before unmuting and calling out,