Chapter 2 "The death of Clarke Griffin"

Chapter 2  "The death of Clarke Griffin"

     I have my bags packed, I have just been waiting for Finn to get home. When I first started dating Finn in high school, things were good, really good. He was so sweet and caring. 

     We were set to move into our first apartment together, straight from the dorms, at the end of our sophomore year. That was two years ago, which is when it all started to go downhill.

    First were the late night study sessions with his friends. Some nights he wouldn't come home till the next day. He always had some excuse. 'I need to do well for both of our futures, babe,' but I knew he was cheating on me. 

     After a few times of confronting him, I gave up. He would get angry, sometimes he would punch the wall or grab, throwing me into it. Nothing that would leave any marks for others to see. I stopped going out with my friends, he didn't like them much.

     I even started missing brunch with my mom and dad. I thought that there was no way out. A few weeks ago made up my mind though. I was done, finished. I couldn't take it anymore. I called up my friend Raven, who I hadn't been spending as much time with lately. 

     She was more than a friend. She was like my sister. We had been friends since the first grade. We went out to dinner that night and I finally confessed to her about Finn. Well, not all of it, just the cheating. We cried together and made plans for me to move in with her.

     Unfortunately, Finn came home early that night. When I walked in the door there he was, in his crumpled clothes, nursing a whiskey. I noticed the bottle was over half gone and I closed my eyes. It was going to be a long night.

     "Where the hell have you been? I've been home for hours waiting for you." He yells.

     I lower my eyes, "I'm sorry, I went to dinner with Raven."

     "You're supposed to let me know if you go out. I thought I told you to stay away from that dyke bitch." He yells as he throws his glass at my head.

     I feel the deep cut across my temple, blood dripping into my eyes. He grabs his coat and says, "Clean this shit up. I will be out late."

     I started picking the glass up, cutting my hand in the process, tears flowing down my face. It doesn't take long before I am finished and I hop in the shower. Hoping that the steam will clear my mind some.

     I quickly dried off and got the first aid kit out from under the cabinet. I knew I needed stitches. That's one good thing about having a mom that is the chief of cardiac surgery at Arcadia memorial hospital, I know how to take care of most wounds.

     Tears still flowing down my face, leaning over the counter, staring into the mirror, I begin stitching my head. It takes just a couple minutes and I am cleaning it and bandaging it up.

     That was two weeks ago and I should have just left then. I don't know why I feel this need to confront him to let him know that our six year relationship is over. Maybe it has more to do with the memories of high school, when he was kind and oh so caring.

     Raven should be here with her truck soon, I hope he gets here before then. He can just leave and go back out like he normally does. I hear the keys jangle in the door and stand up to wait.

     He drops his keys in the bowl at the door, comes over, looks at me and asks, "What the hell is all this?"

      I look at him and say, "I'm leaving Finn. You're never home and when you are you are angry. You hurt me and then leave. I am here to pick up the mess, while you go screw whoever you pick up at the bar. I can't do this anymore."