Masterpiece

When I gained conciousness, I was already in my hospital room. I saw my mother, my sister and my daughter.

They told me that dad already left; He came to the hospital first but didn’t make it to still see me as I was already sedated when he arrived.

I felt so tired, I fell back to sleep. I was just relieved and happy to see my loved ones at the foot of my bed.

The following day, the first thing I asked was if they have already seen Cyrus in the nursery room. With excitement, they answered Yes. My sister told me he looked a lot like me. I smiled. Gwyneth told me that she has a cute little brother. I smiled more. I grabbed my phone and tried to contact Jefferson. No hope. I think he changed number. I browsed through his old messages and found out that he once used a different number to text me. It was his mother’s.

I texted her. "Hi, I hope you can still remember me. I am Jefferson’s girlfriend. I’ve been trying to contact your son but I failed. He told me that he would stay in Isabella for long. I’m not sure if it was true. Please tell him that I already gave birth to our son. He needs to be here in the hospital so that we both can sign for his birth certificate."

I didn’t expect a reply, but after a few minutes, my phone beeped. It says "We will be there tomorrow." I just don’t want to hope much.

The following day, I got a text message from Jefferson. He’s got a new number. He said he’ll come over. I felt happy, my heart was beating fast. I sent my dad a message asking him to come over so that he could meet Jefferson.

He came in the morning. After how many months of not communicating with me, there he was standing in front of me. I’ve noticed that he has a notebook and a school ID. He’s been going to school. It wasn’t true that he stayed in a far away province. The truth revealed itself and it hurt me more.

We talked like nothing went wrong between us. He said that his mom cannot make it so she’s just sending her greetings. I told him that I want to see our baby, so he helped me on a wheel chair. I stood up, pressing my hands on the nursery’s viewing glass... excited, heart pounding. I told the nurse to show me my baby, and in a few seconds, there in front of me... my little angel. I told Jefferson... I named him Cyrus, he said he find the name beautiful. The baby looked so gentle. He has a bit chinky eyes like mine, but his nose is like his dad’s. He has a fair skin.

Jefferson didn’t look happy at all but I didn’t care, I was savoring the moment just staring at my baby, adoring his beauty and admiring how God sent another masterpiece into my life.

Back in the room, Jefferson’s phone beeped. He answered the phone and handed it to me. It was his mother. "How are you and the baby?" I answered "We’re good, thank you."

She continued "I told you once before when you came for a visit that Jefferson is no good, he is worthless and still you got yourself pregnant? He bought himself 2 cellphones recently; If I only knew that you’re about to give birth then I should’ve given you the money. I apologize that I don’t have anything to give you right now and I can’t be there. Just send my kisses to my grandchild."

"I will." Then I passed the phone back to her son. I know that she didn’t stop nagging. After a few more minutes Jefferson finally hang up.

The nurse came in to have us sign the child’s birth certificate. I filled up the form with my name and my son’s name. The last name is Jefferson’s as he acknowledged the child. He also entered his information. My dad came a few moments after. I introduced Jefferson, and they shook hands. He gave excuses like "Sir, I’m sorry I just got here today, I didn’t expect that she’ll give birth in January." Of course I won’t buy it. I just hoped that my dad did. Jefferson skipped school that day to spend the whole time with me in the hospital, that is something that I appreciated. We visited Cyrus again during the last viewing hour at 7pm. Then I asked him to go home. He texted me right away when he left. "I still love you." I know I should be happy, but instead I felt sadness inside me.

I got discharged the following day, I met the the nurse carrying my baby at the lobby. The hospital’s policy is that the newborn won’t take the elevator to avoid getting infection in an enclosed area. The nurse took the stairs while carrying my baby while I, on a wheel chair was assisted to the elevator.

The nurse handed me my son, she placed him securely into my arms. I can’t remove my eyes off him. He looked like an angel sleeping, calm and so innocent. Inside the car, my dad said "If you and Jefferson love each other, then get married." I stayed silent. It was not within my plans now. My baby is enough. My children are enough to keep me going.

God may have noticed that I didn’t focus on a direction that would fix my life the first time I had a baby, and so He gave me another one. Everything has a purpose. He really knows best. And now, I’m ready, I’m ready to be a mother. I will take care of my little angels. God’s masterpieces in my life.

**********************************

Please vote to help spread how amazing God could make a difference in someone’s life and promote how prayer works in it’s ultimate power.

Continue reading. God bless!

Other works:

The Rice Fields

Poems from the Heart