A Long Day

I was on my 1st year in college. That was the month when everyone's excited for the Sports fest. But at the same time, that was the month for thesis defense for those on their last year.

Our class signed up for a cheering competition. The cheerleader was a good friend of mine, meaning... automatically, I became part of the cheer group.

The practice day came. I checked my schedule and realized that my day will start at 7am for my first subject and the last subject ends at 2pm. The cheering practice will start immediately after the class. It means that it will be a long, tiring day.

My mom gave me 100 pesos. It has increased from 50 which was my daily allowance in highschool. I stared at the paper bill wondering how in the world will it fit for the day. I need to consider the jeepney fare, food during breaks and no more when I get hungry in the afternoon.

I was 17 that time, 100 pounds but I eat a lot. Maybe I was still growing. I get hungry so easily and so I eat.

After we got dismissed from the last class, the cheerleader called us out to assemble in one of the bigger rooms. The practice will start in a few. And so I started praying too... "Dear God, I don't have enough money for the day to buy food when I get hungry. This is a long day so help me survive. Make me not feel hungry."

I didn't ask for money to buy food. I know that it won't rain money inside the building and I would be too busy to even look for some in the hallway. I just asked God to protect me from hunger.

A couple of hours later, at the middle of our dancing and singing and stunts, someone knocked on the door. A girl from the classroom across ours. She looked pretty wearing make up in that business casual attire. She smiled said "It was our food presentation day, it's already 5pm and no one else is in the campus but us. There's too much food here. Please get it so it won't be put to waste."

The cheering team was wide-eyed in excitement. The first thing that entered my mind was God. He sent us food! We then stuffed ourselves with delicious pastries. I got full and satisfied. The cheerleader bought soda for everyone. So the meal was complete. The money left in my purse may not be enough to buy me food, but it's definitely more than enough to pay for the ride home. I don't need to buy food now. God has sent a lot, not just for me, but for everyone.

I went home, happy. Still in awe. God never fail to surprise me. I can never stop thanking Him for all the blessings.

**********************************

Please vote to help spread how amazing God could make a difference in someone’s life and promote how prayer works in it’s ultimate power.

Continue reading. God bless!

Other works:

The Rice Fields

Poems from the Heart