A Ride to School

I was in Junior High School. I still take the school bus. My dad works abroad as a programmer and my mom is a simple housewife.

Every morning the alarm clock wakes me up and my mom irons my school uniform. I have a sister that she takes care of too, so there's not much time to prepare for breakfast.

That day, my eyes were too heavy to wake up. Most likely I heard the alarm clock stiked 5am and immediately killed it with a bang! My mom surely got tired the night before as she didn't hear it too.

The school bus driver woke us up with a heavy knock on the door. Tsk... tsk... That means I have to commute going to school as the driver won't wait for me to dress up and board. And so I left home a little late. I wasn't too bothered of what the teacher would tell me, I just have to get to my first class.

It was already the rush hour. There were too many commuters waiting for a ride. A lot of jeepneys passed by... loaded and full. I didn't expect a cab and wasn't even waiting for it. My money might not be even enough to pay the cab fair. I had P50 in my purse to buy food that for sure will not be good to satisfy the growling dragon in my stomach.

But more than being hungry, I was worried of the time. I don't want to miss the first class. And so I prayed... "God please help me, send me a ride... I need to get to school now, please? Any ride will do"

And so a truck arrived. It looked more like something that transports hogs for the butcher. The driver shouted "free ride! hop on!" A lot of people did, mostly robust men wearing their ragged working jeans and lousy shirts. I knew they were construction workers. They were reaching out their arms to help pull other passengers up the truck. I was both amazed and dumbfounded. There was still a lot of space for more passengers. I know it was waiting for me to hop on as it was for me. I know He sent it for me. But in slow motion... I stared at it as it passed me by and left.

"Thank you God for sending me a ride, but God... look at me, I am wearing a lovely sky-blue skirt and long sleeved blouse. I am a very decent looking student. Please understand that I can't just hop on that truck. I just don't fit in. Please send another one, I promise to take it."

I was worried that God got angry that I rejected that ride. I just held on the thought that He is understanding and forgiving. And so I waited for the next that He'll send me.

After a few minutes, a red car with dark windows stopped right infront of me. I thought the it's about to drop off someone on that spot, but it didn't. The window rolled down slowly and revealed a brown-skinned man, with a thick curly hair, dark mustache and beard. He was wearing dark glasses, striped suit and a necktie. I just stared at him confused. I don't recognize this man. I'm sure we haven't met or talked. He nodded at me and honked as if inviting me to get in the passenger seat.

Again dumbfounded... I was stuck like a statue, stared at him as he left after a dreadful few minutes of debating with myself on wether to take the ride or not.

"Oh God... I'm so sorry! You may or may have not sent that car for me, but the driver looked more of a devil than a heaven sent driver! Please don't expect me to ride alone with a stranger with tinted windows."

"One more dear God, last one. This time, what ever it is that you'll send me, I'll take it."

I felt peace after saying that. So I patiently waited... until a taxi stopped and opened the door at the back seat. A lady smiled at me and said "Are you going to school? I'm going there too to meet my daughter. C'mon ride with me!"

I smiled. I felt so comfortable in that taxi. I was seated comfortably with a good natured mother of one of my schoolmates. I smiled because I know that she was sent by Him to get me to school.

"dear God, thank you so much. I know I've been too choosy of what to pick from those that you've sent for me. But as you can see, I've been patient. Thank you for sending me a cab with a nice lady. Thank you for listening to my prayers. You are really the most powerful One. In You I believe. Amen."

I was praying while on the way to school. My heart was full of gratitude and amazement. That was just a simple but powerful scenario of how prayer works in my life, of how God moves.

The next chapters will share how I grew closer to God through prayers... and how He answers in the most astonishing ways.

**********************************

Please vote to help spread how amazing God could make a difference in someone’s life and promote how prayer works in it’s ultimate power.

Continue reading. God bless!

Other works:

The Rice Fields

Poems from the Heart

"More than what I Prayed for"On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara