chapter eight

Lyra

Lyra

Lucas stood with both his hands crossed holding our recently shopped groceries, looking away from me as I retched all contents of my stomach on the side of the road. I couldn't see his eyes from behind his sunglasses but I was sure they would match the expression on the rest of his face, pure disgust.

I straightened my own glasses when I was finished and Lucas handed me a water bottle he got from the grocery store, one of the only establishments closeby. Besides said grocery store, the only other place we saw was a small police station - which seemed a little useless but I'm not one to judge.

We had stopped to get a toothbrush because I had forgotten mine at the hotel and Lucas refused to let me brush my teeth with my finger. A lot of things didn't make sense about him, like the fact he seemed to have an aversion to hugs but cuddled me all night when he slept with me, and the fact that he didn't seem to do much to his hair but it always appeared perfect, one thing that did make sense though was his organized nature. He was one of these people who liked everything as it was supposed to be, which proved to be a challenge because I was the exact opposite of that. Consequently, not one thing inside the car was out of place and if it was, I had put it there.

By the time we had stopped, Lucas had to run to the store because I started to vomit incessantly. I blame it on the axe deodorant Lucas had applied when we stopped to freshen up. "You look gross."

"No way, I expected to look like a princess after throwing up my body weight," Sarcasm dripped from my remark and I could tell he rolled his eyes underneath the shades. I knew him that much.

He handed me the toothbrush he had gotten for me, already unpacked and with a little toothpaste on it. "You could be a little nicer, wouldn't kill you."

"Coming from the person who literally breathes rudeness," I said, not pausing from brushing my teeth. "You're the one who could be a little nicer to me, you know, like I'm being to you."

"All you are to me is sarcastic and I am no walking dictionary, but sarcasm isn't exactly niceness now, is it?"

"Oh, you mean nice like mentioning that you cuddled me all night?" I mentioned arching my eyebrows, after spitting the water in my mouth. I had saved the topic for his sake and mine. It'd be better if we both forgot about that. Between my blatant rejection and his unavoidable erection, the situation was a damn mess. But he was starting to piss me off.

The reason why both of us had woken up in a foul mood was unknown but I could take a few guesses. Perhaps it was the fact that we were getting close to Baldwin within the second and I had nowhere to redirection my anxiety which had turned to anger or the fact that we had a nice moment last night and now we were trying to sabotage ourselves. It was getting too intimate too fast.

"I did not."

"Well, if you happen to cross the person who had your body in their possession for the night, tell them to come back. I'm not fond of the original owner." He uncrossed his arms and walked in my direction as if to intimidate me, I walked the rest of the way towards him until we were face to face.