91

"You don't get to use that name. Vesemir gave me that name." Geralt growled out, intent on making sure Visenna knew what she had done. Visenna hadn't any need for Geralt to point out her failures as a mother; she had already seen it in herself, and in Kyana's eyes. Geralt spared a glance to his wife-to-be, who dabbed at his sleeping form's forehead and observed his veins. Kyana let out a sigh of relief at the receding of the blackness, resting her forehead gratefully against Geralt's. "I need to know why." He said, keeping his eyes on Kyana in an attempt to calm himself.

"No answer will give you what you want." Visenna breathed out, observing the hatred and anger in her son's eyes. She knew in that moment she had failed; as a woman, as a human, as a mother. Visenna would never regret anything as much as she regretted leaving Geralt, yet when his father died, and she struggled to make do, she saw no other choice; even if it meant his death.

"Three out of ten boys survive the trial." Geralt seethed, rage consuming him beyond words as he turned his gaze to his mother. Visenna had no right to be a mother when someone like Kyana could not; at least not with Geralt. Kyana had endured pain and suffering, told she could have children only to fall in love with an infertile man and accepted it with a smile, because she loved Geralt. How could 'Destiny' smile upon a woman like Visenna and curse a woman like Kyana? "Tell me... at least... " Geralt hesitated, water gathering in his golden eyes. "you didn't know this before you left me on his doorstep?"

The face Visenna made told him everything he needed to know. Visenna's jaw slackened and tightened, but her lips never parted to give a viable answer. Her eyes pooled with tears, realizing that her horrific choice had caused her to loose her son forever. "It's time to sleep." She said to him, as though he were still the child she nursed for so little time. Geralt's jaw clenched with rage. "There's Valerian in the medicines. And she's waiting for you." Visenna gestured to Kyana to deter the topic of discussion.

Visenna placed her hands on Geralt's shoulders, pushing him down to lay on the makeshift bed. Her hand remained on his shoulder, as though attempting to soothe herself for abandoning him. Geralt was not so easily swayed, sighing in frustration at her lack of an answer. Instead, he voiced his suspicions on why she had not returned. "You trusted destiny rather than trying to find me yourself." He shuddered out, still ill in himself.

"Don't ask any more questions." Visenna insisted, afraid of the answers she may have to give. Geralt had obviously lost love over Visenna long ago, and the prospect of him hating her even more than he already did wounded her deeply and more than she could say.

"Why?" Geralt asked, much like he had when he was a child, the child who gazed in wonder at the world, who asked so many questions to satisfy his curiosity. So much had been taken from his life; his childhood, his fertility, his choices. The least she could do was give him the reason why she did what she did, instead of deflecting questions.

"The answers will only hurt us both." Geralt shook his head in disbelief that she would actually deny him the answers he needed, the answers he was owed. "It's time to move on, Geralt." Visenna stated, as though she had told him everything he needed to know and it was time to put it behind him. "It's time for you to find what you let go of. Find her." Visenna commanded of him, watching his eyes close as he pictured Ciri in his head. "Find her... I was just a dream."

"Please don't go." Geralt called out, hoping against all hope she would actually listen and stay this time. Alas, she did not, turning her face away from Geralt and walking away, whispering for him to sleep.

"Visenna?" He called out to her, his voice full of pain while his eyes involuntarily remained closed. "No!" Geralt shot up into a sitting position, his eyes blown wide and his hair sticking to his face. He felt dirty, and he undoubtedly was, judging by the dirt that streaked his face and exposed arms. He realized he was awake, for real this time. Geralt's head snapped to the side, where Kyana had been sitting a few minutes prior, only to find she had gone. Yurga approached him, his footsteps softly echoing into the night. "Where'd she go? The woman?" He asked Yurga, only to receive a chuckle as he leaned against the tree.

"Which one? You called out for so many." He chuckled, gazing off into the woods Kyana had ventured off into a few hours prior, Yurga's scruffy bow and a handful of arrows in hand. "It did upset the lass, your callin'. But she stayed with you until your veins looked good and your heart steadied. Couldn't help leavin' when you called a three different women in a row, none of which were her." Geralt felt unbelievably guilty, having accidentally called Renfri, Yennefer, even Triss, but not Kyana. Yet he couldn't bring himself to think straight about patching up his relationship with Kyana, he was focused on finding Visenna, and quickly, while he knew her location.

"How far from your home to the battlefield?" Geralt asked, using the tree trunk to lift himself up and limping feebly to the cart. "To Sodden? How far?" Geralt demanded of Yurga, his wound now stinging instead of pulsing with pain. He had to thank Kyana for saving his life when she returned, but not before finding Visenna.

"Well, it's an hour with a swift enough horse." Yurga said, picking up the bags Kyana had set for Geralt's makeshift bed to place back on his cart. Geralt gripped onto the cart, barely able to walk, let alone ride with the damage he had taken to his leg. Geralt lifted himself onto the cart, sitting up to keep himself comfortable. "You know, I'm just a simple merchant. I can't repay you for saving my life. But what I can offer you... is the Law of Surprise. That which I have but don't know." Geralt picked up a bag and adjusted it to sit under his leg, sick of hearing of the law that had royally screwed him over the past couple of years.

"Just give me an ale and consider your debt paid." Geralt groaned, listening for any sign of Kyana. He heard her bow string as she drew it back, arrow perched on the tip. He heard her exhale and pictured her relaxing her body, not far from here. He whistled the first few notes of 'For The Dancing And The Dreaming', hoping she could hear him. When her breath broke mid exhale and her arrow wasn't loosened, he knew she was on her way. "Now, can we go?"