44

It was as if Kyana was trying to make it hard for Geralt not to stare. And she was doing a bloody good job. His eyes wanted nothing more to dart over every single square inch of her body. Kyana was fully aware at his staring. For the first time, she didn't have to hide the blush that usually fought it's way onto her face; it wasn't there. In it's place was this gaping hole in her chest that she had never felt before.

"Elias of Zerrikania." Kyana addressed him with a calm smile. He bowed his head in respect. "Once again I apologize for my outburst yesterday, it was unwarranted."

Elias shook his head calmly. "You don't have to apologize. It was to be expected." Kyana accepted this. Everyone sat down, preparing for a long talk about Kyana. Geralt sat on the bed, Jaskier on the battered sofa at the wall, and Elias in the armchair. Kyana chose to sit next to Jaskier, which made Geralt grumble under his breath. He supposed he deserved it.

Kyana ignored his look, instead focusing on Elias. "Why do you want me Queen? I was seen at court once, by very few lords. You don't even know if I'd be a good ruler."

"That is true, undeniably so. I wasn't at Pavetta's engagement party, but a great friend of mine was. He said you spoke well, gave a kind aura about your voice but was truthful." Kyana scoffed, remembering the words she had offered Peregrine. With that memory came a wave of pain in her leg; she had managed to take her mind off it for the morning with her heart heavy in her chest, and still, it screamed to be noticed. 

"You want me on the throne because of how I speak?" Elias shook his head, silently telling her he had more to say. He noticed her hand flutter down to her mid thigh as she winced, but said nothing. 

"You care about those around you. You have a long history of helping people, Princess. Before Blaviken, you were the cleanest Witcher in the Continent." Kyana let out a humorless laugh.

"That, is because I am the wrong gender to be a Witcher. I had to seek work instead of being called to it." Elias gave her a small, sympathetic smile. "Why would you need me? I can't give you heirs, I can't rule a country. What does Calanthe lack that I have?"

"Kindness." Elias stated simply with a shrug of his shoulders. "She is brutal, which is brilliant in a Queen. But she is never kind. Not even to her people." Kyana's eyebrows furrowed. "She deals with us. She makes it clear she doesn't want to." Something didn't sound right about Elias' logic, and Geralt could smell the lies on him. He frowned, but refrained from saying anything that might offend her. 

Kyana gave Elias a confused look. "That doesn't sound like Calanthe. All I've heard are stories of her fighting for her people."

"Exactly! She fights for us on the battlefield, but heaven forbid you ask for help." Elias rolled his eyes. Kyana observed him closely. His eyes were angry, sad and desperate all at the same time. Kyana soon put the pieces of the puzzle together, and figured out this had nothing to do with her; this was a vendetta against Calanthe. 

"This isn't about me, is it?" Geralt's gaze rose to her in confusion. "This is because you asked for help and the Queen denied it." Elias shook his head, a disbelieving smile on his lips. He was aware that he had been rash with the information, but he didn't know she would be able to piece it together from just his bitterness. 

"I gave away too much, I see." Elias nodded, a hand running through his black hair. "You are correct. Three years ago, my wife, Cassiopeia, was heavily with child. The midwife told us that when she gave birth, it would be complicated, as the baby had turned in the womb." His eyes watered as he spoke. "I went to Calanthe to ask for a physician, or money for one, as at the time I was cut off from my family for marrying Cassiopeia, who was below my station. She turned us down and threw me out of the castle. Soon after, my wife died giving birth to my son, who suffocated inside of her." Kyana's mouth fell open in horror.

"Oh lord, I'm so sorry Elias." Elias' eyes landed on the floor, his heart torn to shreds by the death of his wife and child. For years, Elias had not been the same; he became a recluse, pale and fragile and weak, refusing to speak to anyone that so much as mentioned his wife. 

"Many are sorry, Kyana. But Calanthe? She heard of my wife's passing in childbirth and sent me a single white lily to place on her grave. All I needed was fifteen or twenty coins, and my wife would be alive." Kyana's gaze was sympathetic. Years previous, in a village she had been working in, there had been a spate of miscarriages, and the heartbroken wails of the mothers had filled the nights for months.

"You have my deepest sympathy, Elias, you really do. But what has this got to do with the throne being overthrown? She did you wrong, yes, as I'm sure others will agree, but this isn't deep enough incentive." Kyana leaned forward and placed her elbows on her knees, yet soon regretted it when her leg protested. 

Elias resorted to the final shreds of his knowledge. "When my friend returned from Pavetta's banquet, crying of a hidden royal within the Witchers, I started digging for your past. I uncovered a lot more than I expected; more than you could possibly know." Kyana impatiently motioned for him to continue. "Are you familiar with the current Queen of Zerrikania, Queen Merineaevelth?" Kyana nodded.

"Of course. What of her?" Elias continued.

"Her parents, King Eustace and Queen Jonetta, are paramount to your story. King Eustace started to forge trading deals. He was wise to do so, most of those deals are still in place. Anyway, when he arrived at Cintra, he was greeted by King Roegner and Queen Adalia." Kyana looked to Geralt, who was just as confused as she was about why he was telling them this. 

"Why are you telling me this, sir?" Kyana interjected. Elias shot her an irritated look. 

"If you were only patient, then I will explain." Elias stated bluntly, royally shutting Kyana up. Elias continued his retelling. "When negotiating the trade deals, Adalia and Eustace took a shine to each other. They became quick 'friends', although the connection was severed when he returned back to his Queen. Not long after, Adalia found that she was pregnant, and hastily married Dagorad."

Kyana listened to every word, watching as Elias pondered how to tell her what he was about to say. "There is a common trait between the family of Eustace. A trait that carries through the entire bloodline after an accident." Elias paused, wondering if he should go on. 

"Spit it out and be done with it, sir." Kyana stated firmly, already knowing what was to be said to her. 

"Merineaevelth is barely ever seen; it is a little known fact that she shares a trait with you." He said, taking a deep breath and preparing to face the rage Kyana will no doubt allow to rain upon him. "She has blue hair, from her father."

"I said spit it out! Do so immediately and end this insufferable silence!"

"And you are the rightful heir of King Eustace and Queen Adalia. You are not only the potential Queen of Cintra, but of Zerrikania as well. You are a legitimate royal with power beyond your comprehension."