Happy Rakshabandhan

Start from the beginning

"haaa... sachin-

"seokjin"

"falana made a huge sale today, the boy's really good at convincing people" he says while chewing his food like he didnt just drop a bomb in front of your mom. "he's close to being the top salesman" he adds.

(falana = so and so)

"kaun hai ye ladka? Iska dost hai?" she asks calmly as she pours some water in her glass, trying not to make it obvious.

("who is this boy? is he her friend?")

"arey ha, bilkul best friend forever jaisa." he continues when he finishes chewing his food "in logo ki kya badhiya toli hai kaam pe. sab milke-

("oh yeah, like best friends forever. These guys have a nice gang at work. together they-")

He stops the moment he sees your eyes widen. Your dad is quite a frank man, he doesnt mind you being friends with a bunch of guys. He has an exuberant personality while your mom has a stoic one; totally made for each other. Your dad knew he wasnt supposed to reveal such information because it's likely to make your mom conscious about the kind of company you could get into. But today, he was too engrossed devouring his favourite meal that he couldnt think before letting words out of his mouth.

"a gang, i see" your mom gives an amusing expression before she asks "how many best friends forever are there in your gang?", making your group of friends sound like a group of thugs.

before you could answer, your dad jumps in to defend you. "these kids are so sanskaari you wouldnt even believe your eyes. the sachin guy-

"seokjin"

your mom gives you a look when you correct him again. you immediately shift your eyes around your house, freaking out internally.

(sanskaari = cultured/civilized/obedient)

"yes... sukhjeen touched my feet when he made his big sale, you know?" he tells her astonishingly. "he said he wanted my ashirvaad"

(ashirvaad = blessing)

you furrow your brows at your dad. maybe he's going too far, you dont know. you'll have to ask seokjin if he really did his research on indian culture or did he just skim through some facts coz touching feet is only a thing for some religions in india and you never told him yours.

"well, that doesnt answer my question" she says, smiling at you, looking exactly like this 🙂.

"se-seven" you return her an innocent smile.

"really?" she asks in amusement.

you nod.

"they're all guys?" she questions, stirring the spoon in her hand through some rice on her plate.

"uh..." you pretend to recall "i guess"

"you guess? you dont know?" her voice remains calm as she asks nicely, freaking the shit out of you.

"ye-yes, they're all guys" you smile awkwardly.

"i see" she goes back to eating her food.

the table falls silent as you and your dad exchange glances. your dad apologise to you through his eyes while you throw a tantrum at him in your head.

"you know" your mom suddenly breaks the silence... again, freaking the shit out of you. "it's rakshabandhan next month"

fuck, is all your brain says coz it knows what's coming next.

"I feel guilty everytime for not letting you experience this amazing festival. you dont have a brother, neither do we go to india during that time of the month. why dont we celebrate it this time?" she says looking up from her plate, directly at you