"Gawain?!"

"Rosie? Is it you?"

"Yes!" She laughed. "Have I changed so much?"

He hugged her before taking a closer look at her.

"Well, yes! I haven't seen you in years! You... you look beautiful." He complimented her.

"Oh, thank you."

"And I heard about Illya. I'm so sorry."

"So am I. He died while trying to save me."

"There is no better honor than to die for the woman you love. I'm sure he rests peacefully knowing you're safe."

"I hope so. But what about you? I hear they're calling you the Green Knight!"

"Oh, it's nothing." He brushed it off.

"No, I'm sure it was well deserved, and you must have so many stories to tell me!"

"I'm afraid they're not as happy as the ones I used to tell you."

"Oh, that's right, so maybe not the best idea?"

"Maybe not." He approved.

After getting herself a drink, Rosalia watched Arthur whose eyes wouldn't leave Nimue and Gawain. Her friends were in the middle of a  particularly lively conversation, smiling and laughing. Rosalia eventually approached Arthur.

"Jealous isn't a cute look on you." She told him.

"I'm not jealous." He denied.

"Come on, we're friends, aren't we? You can tell me the truth."

"I might be a little bit jealous." He reluctantly admitted.

"See, that wasn't too hard. And Gawain looks pretty handsome."

"Whose side are you on?"

"Yours, of course. I honestly don't think you have anything to be worried about."

"Why?"

"It's obvious that Nimue likes you a lot. Now, don't go and tell her that I said that to you because I don't want to die just yet."

"Thank you, Rosie. You truly are a good friend."

"I know. So... about about I go steal Gawain so you can spend some time with her?" She suggested.

"I didn't think it was possible for me to like you even more."

"Nothing is ever impossible with me."

Rosalia winked at him before walking towards Nimue and Gawain.

"I hope you don't mind if I ask Gawain for a dance."

"Oh, not at all." Declared Nimue.

Rosalia took Gawain's hand and the two of them danced with their people for a while. It was unusually exhausting and it didn't take long for Rosalia to be out of breath. She then got away from the crowd, soon followed by Gawain.

"Was that too much for you?" He jokingly asked.

"Hey, don't make fun of me! You were pretty much in the same state as me." She protested.

"Hardly."

She laughed.

"Okay, you win. I mean I've been running a lot these last few days, I thought dancing would be a little bit easier."

"No, I'm being too hard on you. After all, we were dancing for ten minutes."

Rosalia gently bumped his shoulder.

"I didn't remember you have a sense of humour."

"Maybe you were too young to understand it."

"You know, I have to admit, I was so sad when you left." Confessed Rosalia.

"Really?"

"Yes, you were my favourite person! Well, except for my family... and Nimue, of course."

"So I was fourth? That's still pretty good."

"Isn't it?"

"I hope you know that if you ever need anything, I'm here."

"That's sweet. Thank you. Right now, I just need a friend."

"Well, that I can do."

Willa found it easy to sleep once the festivities were over. Rosalia wished she could say the same, but every time her eyes closed and she managed to sleep, she dreamt of him. She would watch the mill on fire again, she would try to block the smoke from intoxicating her with her hands, and finally she would meet his icy gaze. In the middle of the night, she was the only one still up. At least, that's what she thought.

"Gawain? What are you doing up?"

Here he was, standing outside under a sky full of stars.

"I could ask you the same question."

"I can't sleep lately..."

"It's understandable." He sympathized.

"I just... have the feeling that I'm not safe, that at any moment, they could come, you know. But it almost feels like I'm paralyzed, because I can't do anything about it." She opened up.

"I assure you that you're safe here. With me."

"I know I am." She smiled.

"How is Willa?"

"She's as well as I could hope her to be. She has friends here so that seems to be helping. But it's like a little piece of her heart died that day... just like mine. And I'm not sure we're ever going to get it back."

"No, but it's going to become easier to live with that void. I promise."

◉◉◉

I love seeing Rosalia be happy and enjoying herself. Let me know if you like this chapter by voting and/or commenting. And what do you think of her relationship with Gawain? And Arthur?