Their First Call

After the success of his album launching, his manager has planned a celebratory party for everyone involved, in one of the exclusive penthouses in the city. Of course, everyone attended as it was free drinks for all.

However it wasn't his type of party. Hence his current predicament.

While he has been polite enough to approach every single member of his team and offer them his gratitude for their outstanding efforts, it is rude to leave abruptly - especially when the party is for him.

Naruto could have been his company, if he hadn't brought his plus one, Hyuuga Hinata.

He stares at his phone.

Sakura is supposed to tell him a lengthy story of how her exams went, and if his calculations are correct, she is probably still in the middle of typing everything. She hates missing a single detail. He makes way towards the balcony where the upbeat tempo of the DJ is cut off by the calming breeze of the night sky.

He then sends her a message.

~O~

Sakura lays in her bed, typing furiously on her phone as she recalls everything that has transpired. Turns out, one of her classmates, whom she also considers one of the worst bunch in school, is caught cheating and sleeping with one of their anatomy professors! And she has been telling Sasuke that she suspects them of having a secret relationship.

She reaches the part where the Dean marches inside their classroom when her phone vibrates.

Call me.

She gasps then accidentally drops the device on her face. She scrambles up to a sitting position and slides open the phone in haste. Did she read that properly? Sasuke wants her to call him? Her heart roared inside her chest. This is... unexpected. All of sudden? Why?

She feels her cheeks go warm, the thought of finally hearing his voice sends her heart in a nervous flutter.

She copies her draft, then replaces it with - Are you sure?

His answer was instant.

Yes.

She doesn't understand why she is hesitating. Her hand shakes. Was it because she feels shy?

But I'm almost done typing!

She waits for his reply, anxious.

But it never came, because instead her phone rings and she freezes in surprise.

His name shines brightly on her phone's screen, as if demanding to be answered.

Her heart races. Okay, there's no room for excuses anymore, she muses. Wow, their first ever phone call. And she finds herself restless. With a gulp, and a quick vocalization - hello hello, she slides her finger towards the green button and places the device in her ear.

She hears nothing. She frowns. He probably wants her to speak first.

"Sasuke-kun?" She says, skeptic.

Hn.

His grunt makes her frown, and effectively relieves her from her initial jitters. Even in phone calls, she realizes, he is still short for words. And for someone who is desperate to be called, he lacks the decency to address her appropriately.

"Really, that's the first thing you'll say to me?" She huffs, flopping herself on the bed.

Is that a problem? He answers, puzzled.