Chapter 19: Celestia

Start from the beginning

Luna started to shake her head, then she stopped. "The Dark Side of the Moon."

The Council nodded, muttering amongst themselves.

Aidan cleared his throat. "Sombra has managed to take over the Crystal Empire, and the whereabouts of Specter Dusk, who was guarding the empire, are unknown."

"Do we know if the citizens are ok? If Amore is ok?" Celestia intervened. Those poor civilians didn't deserve any of this. Relentlessly used as bargaining chips, as pawns as if they didn't matter. And Amore, though flawed, had a sweet side. A side that understood Celestia.

They'd met twelve years ago. She remembered those nights they would spend singing, chatting, putting on makeup. Getting the chance to be normal teenagers. Amore was, in a way, an older sister to Celestia.

Aidan ignored her question. "One of the citizens escaped during the siege, and she'll be able to show you what happened using a memory crystal." He then turned towards the door. "Evelyn, you can come in now."

A girl in her mid-teens walked in hesitantly, giving a shaky curtsy at the door. Her wide eyes darted around nervously, and she looked like she had been crying.

"Come sit next to me," Celestia invited.

"B-but, there aren't any chairs," Evelyn pointed out.

Celestia scooted over. "There's plenty of room."

One of the other members, a woman named Akali, produced an orange crystal. "Evelyn, all you have to do is hold this in your hand and think back to what happened, ok?"

"Ok," Evelyn whispered, gulping nervously. With a trembling hand, she took the crystal from Akali.

The room glowed orange from the light, and a large image was projected in front of them.

It can't be that bad. Sombra's magic couldn't be anything they hadn't seen before. Powerful, yes, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Nothing out of the ordinary, she kept thinking to herself, until Amore, in terrible shape, ran out of the castle. With a grand gesture, black crystals grew from the ground and encased her. Then she shattered under Sombra's touch.

Celestia bit back a scream. Bam. Amore was dead. And so quickly. Sombra looked almost peaceful. Peaceful, when committing murder. Another person I love, now taken away from me too.

First her parents, then her brother Astral. Her best friend Miyura. Now Amore was dead too. All she had left was Luna.

Nearly blinded by tears, Celestia forced herself to continue watching. The Crystal Palace went next, exploding into a million shards of crystal, while screaming citizens tried desperately to flee.

Luna's expression switched between unyielding rage and pure bewilderment. Celestia couldn't imagine what Luna was going through. In one week, she had lost four friends. Jet was dead, Chrissy and Evie were missing, and now Sombra was.....this.

But wasn't he always? This was always buried somewhere deep, deep inside of him.

In the projection, a bunch of guards (idiotically) charged Sombra, but then the fragments of what used to be Amore impaled them through their abdomens.

Evelyn shrieked and looked away. Celestia put her arms around her like she used to do with Luna.

The projection fizzled out into black. "That's it," Evelyn whimpered.

"Thank you, Evelyn," Celestia whispered to her. "You may leave now, if you'd like."

Evelyn rushed out of the room, turning her head to hide her tears. The door slammed behind her.