Duluth / 17

"What do you mean by that?" Sophie asked, shooting to her feet. Adrenaline shot from her head to her toes, lighting a fire in that knot of emotion under her ribs. She shoved the urges back down, to set something ablaze or to unleash the fury she was feeling, and the chains wrapped around her abilities as tight as they could. The sudden feeling set a wave crashing into Sophie, and she swayed, tripping over her feet towards the fountain. 

Dex caught her right before she toppled into the water and helped her sit back down. "Woah, are you okay?" He asked her. 

"Just clumsy," Sophie murmured, hoping the lie was believable. After all, he had witnessed many falls and stumbles over the years. "Now, what do you mean about 'taking actions against humans'?" 

Dex sighed and ran a hand over his eyes. "It's been a issue for a while, and even you can't ignore that. Humans hate and maim each other, sometimes even for sport. And even if humans left to their own devices wouldn't bother us, it's the matter of the damage they're doing the world. The Earth is getting hotter, resources are being drained unnecessarily, animals are dying- actually, a pair of rhinos and a group of orangutans came to Havenfield last week. You can't deny what humans are doing to the world that we all share," He added that last part with a raised eyebrow. 

Sophie couldn't argue with that, no matter how much she wanted to. The world was going to be uninhabitable someday if no one stopped them. But... "What is the council going to do?" She choked out. 

"Nothing, for right now. They need to... go over options." 

"But you mentioned Fintan... what did you mean by 'he requested Everglen'?"

It was Dex's turn to get up from the fountain and pace. After his third turn, Sophie was starting to get impatient. 

"Fintan offered up a plan for the Councillors to consider." 

"But why would they ever agree to listen?" 

"Because Fintan claimed he knew your location." 

But that's crazy, Sophie thought. He couldn't know where Sophie was. His claim implied that the Neverseen was responsible for Sophie's disappearance, and if the Council believed that, they would be willing to talk to Fintan... maybe not out of concern for Sophie but out of concern for what she could do on her own. 

"Believe me," Dex shook his head at the look on Sophie's face. "The six of us raged against their decision to hear him out, but Alden already approved their emergency hearing at Everglen. There's nothing we could do. We hoped that we could get you back before the meeting, but," He looked down at a spiral chained loop on his wrist, the curved face showing strange symbols that Sophie supposed only Technopaths could read. "The meeting started twenty minutes ago." 

Sophie considered her options carefully before responding. It would be easier to do nothing- far easier. She could could back inside and dance the night away with Meredith and Nick, go back to her apartment and eat pizza and orange chicken with Andrew. 

But how could she simply stand by and let Fintan convince the council of a plan that would treat humans like garbage. "What's his plan?" She asked Dex softly. 

"I don't know for sure," He admitted. "But I think... he's suggesting euthanizing the majority of the population." 

Euthanizing?! You euthanize a pet when it's on its deathbed, not the entirety of the human race!

Sophie shot to her feet, wavering only slightly in her heels. "I think I have an idea, Dex. But I'll need your help, and we'll have to hurry." 

***

Five minutes later Sophie and Dex stood in her apartment, Dex digging through her kitchen for mechanical items he needed and Sophie found her camera and Andrew's laptop and started working at the breakfast bar. Sophie plugged the SD card into the computer, handing over the camera to Dex who immediately started taking it apart, muttering nonsensical things to himself. 

They worked for a few minutes before the door opened and shut. "Put it in a bag, Dex," Sophie whispered. "We have to go now. You can find one in my room." He nodded and slipped into her still-bare room. 

"Hey Sophie," Andrew said, striding into the room. He was wearing his normal attire, but his badge and belt were missing. He fell into a cushy arm chair and sighed heavily, running a hand over his face. "I have to tell you something." 

Sophie hurriedly emptied her backpack on the table and shoved the computer in there while she asked, "Is everything ok?" 

"I resigned from my post today. I just can't be a part of a corrupt system that is built upon systematic racism and profits from it. Being a police officer was a choice I could make, and I don't think I want to choose to help uphold that system anymore. Anyway, how is the dance? Is it over already?" 

Sophie smiled a little bit, in spite of herself, loving the conclusion that her adoptive father came to. 

Dex strode back into the room and Andrew shot to his feet. "Oh, I'm sorry, this is Dex. And no, sorry, the dance isn't over, I just forgot something. We're heading back now." 

Andrew narrowed his eyes and motioned between them. "So you two are... together?" 

"No!" Sophie exclaimed as Dex cleared his throat. "No, he's um, he's actually already married." 

Andrew didn't seem to know what to say to that and froze, and Sophie took advantage of his state by pulling Dex out the door. He pulled out his pathfinder right away and they leaped to the Everglen gates. Sophie had leaped minutes ago to her apartment, and she didn't realize how much she missed the warmth of the light surrounding her. 

"Biana left the gate open for me," Dex explained as he pushed through the gate and they hurried together towards the manor. 

"By the way, married?"  Dex chortled. 

"I panicked, ok?" 

"You could've gone with we were just friends, or I was already dating someone, even that I was gay. But married?" Sophie couldn't help herself as she laughed alongside Dex as they neared the house, him pushing open the wide doors. 

She stopped once countless sets of blue eyes fell upon her. 

So I've decided I'm more motivated to update in small chapters... so... two updates today! Yay!