Duluth / 5

No Wiki-how had prepared Sophie how to react in this situation. There was no article labelled 'What to do when your crush/cognate from the world that you ran away from shows up in the city that you live in to take you back even though you can't because you'll put everyone in Danger.'

So instead of saying something, Sophie just stared at Fitz with blank eyes. But Fitz removed his hands from his pockets and a happy smile spread across his face. "Sophie! We've been looking everywhere for you!" He reached across the rocks as if to help Sophie across. 

A thousand profanities crossed Sophie's mind, but what came out was, "Do I know you?" 

Fitz's arms lowered and his smile faded. "What are you talking about? It's me, Fitz!" Sophie stood up, clutching her Starbucks to her chest.  Shaking her head she stuttered out, "I've never seen you before in my life." She was very careful not to speak in the Enlightened Language, and use English. Suddenly she felt very self-conscious. She was wearing jean shorts and a T-Shirt, with her hair up. This was NOT what Fitz was used to seeing her like.  And Fitz noticed that she wasn't wearing a tunic and leggings. He scanned her up and down. "What are you wearing?" He sounded a little incredulous. 

Sophie swung her backpack over her shoulders and told Fitz, "I don't know you. I need to go." She stepped onto another rock to try to get back to the grassy area but slipped. Sophie would have fallen into the water if Fitz hadn't had caught her. He helped her back up, making eye contact. 

His usually sparkling teal eyes were dulled, concern showing in them. "Sophie, what's wrong? Why don't you remember me?" She pushed herself away from him and climbed the rocks back to the park. Fitz scrambled after her.

"Sophie!" Fitz yanked Sophie's arm to turn her around. "Get your hands off of me!" Sophie yelled this so loud, multiple people turned to stare. Sophie waved them off, and faced Fitz, "Listen, I don't know who you are. And my dad's one of those sticklers about that 'stranger danger' business."  

Fitz looked crushed. "Well, ok. Um... I'm Fitz Vacker." He stuck out his hand for Sophie to shake. Sophie, after a moment's hesitation, shook his hand and said, "Sophie Barret. And I need to go."

She turned and fled. "Wait, Sophie!" Fitz called after her. But Sophie didn't listen and just ran. She didn't stop until she got home. Collapsing on her bed, Sophie pulled out her New Sophie List and added a new rule at the bottom;

Avoid Fitz. 

_

Sorry for the late updating, but we started writing our novels in creative writing, so I'm writing a lot every day anyway. 

BUT NIGHTFALL! MINE COMES IN THE MAIL ON FRIDAY AND I JUST CAN'T WAIT!

-JANNIE 

I CAN'T STOP USING CAPS.