57. Attempted Family Moment

Juliette's POV:

After the meeting was over and everyone excused themselves, I walked to the kitchen to get myself a glass of wine, and luckily, out of the many tequila bottles lies a bottle of Merlot.

I'm in the mood for a carrot cake.

Smiling, I take it out along with a wine glass and set them both on the table. I go to the fridge in search for carrots, but find none.

Stupid vampires and their need for not buying vegetables.

"Need any help with that?" A voice asks from behind me, and when I turn around, the man himself is standing on the other side of the island with an expectant smile on his face.

He was brooding thirty minutes ago. What happened to him?

"Yes, actually." I reply with a smile while shaking these thoughts away, making him smile.

"I need carrots." I tell him as I pour my glass to the very freaking rim of it, making Merlin sigh before I see him roll his eyes.

"Carrots? Seriously?" He says, and I could see the annoyance written on his face.

"Will you forgive me if I say that I need the carrots in order to make carrot cake? It's my mom's recipe and I haven't eaten it in almost....three years." I whisper the last part out, and his eyes soften before he nods.

"Alright then. Your carrots are behind you." He says, and after confirming it, I smile and thank him.

"I'll completely forgive you if you save me a slice." He says with a small smile, making mine widen.

"Of course. They are organic after all. You basically knew what kind of carrots to get, didn't you?" I ask, but he only shrugs before he sits down.

"That was really stupid of you for thinking of an idea like that." He comments, making me roll my eyes and take a swift of my wine.

"I will do whatever's necessary in order for this family and this Kingdom to be safe, even if it means I won't get to live in the process." I say sternly as I start speed chopping the carrots while getting the other ingredients out.

"You should not talk about Death as if you're talking about the weather here." He warns, and I sigh before taking my half-full glass and pour it on the batter, much to Merlin's dismay.

"What the hell are you doing?" He hisses while glaring at me, but I only shrug as I start to mix everything together.

"I don't think we have rum in this house, so red wine will have to do." I mutter before I go to the freezer and start scooping two spoonfuls of vanilla ice cream.

"So, I'm basically going to eat shit here, right?" He mutters while observing my actions.

"I have no idea. I've never put red wine in the batter before, but we'll see." I say with a small smile, making him sigh before he takes the tub of ice cream away from me along with the bottle of Merlot.

An hour and a half later, the carrot cake is ready, and all I have to do is cream it. Merlin has been so kind to make the cream for me, and even placed it in the freezer when he was done. He refuses to tell me what the ingredients are, though, much to my dismay.

After creaming the cake, I set it on the counter and admired it for a moment before I started cutting slices.
I gave Merlin his slice and demanded that he tasted it before I did.

"Aside from the slight bitterness, it's good." He muses, making me smile.

"My cream compliments your cake, dear Juliette." He says with a smug smile, making me roll my eyes.