Puppy Dog Eyes

Beginne am Anfang

With a heavy exhale, she performed the jutsu in earnest, placing her palm on the apartment floor with a stern scowl of concentration. To Kakashi's surprise, smoke billowed up and around her hand, signaling a success. Her report card had indicated less than stellar chakra control, so he'd expected at least one failure, first. He was allowed to be proud of being wrong, right? That was normal, right?

The smoke cleared, revealing a small, white dog with long fur and a tan mask marking across its eyes and ears. Brown eyes looked up at a smiling Hanako.

"A Papillon!"

What.

Noticing his confusion, she gestured to the dog. "This breed is called a Papillon. It means butterfly, see?"

Kakashi supposed the markings on the dog's head could be interpreted as a butterfly, if he squinted.

"They're a luxury breed," his kid continued, eyes bright with excitement. "Like Pomeranians and Samoyeds."

The dog cocked its head and let out a small, yappy bark. Hanako looked delighted and began praising it and its breed, but Kakashi was privately concerned. Pakkun had already known how to speak when he'd first summoned him. Maybe this was due to the difference in their chakra levels? Kakashi had been a well-rounded genius, unlike his oddly specialized kid. Could something like that make a difference?

Oh well, the pup would learn eventually. There was one small issue, though.

"You got a name, pup?"

The dog yapped.

Ugh.

Hanako, bless her, had much more patience than he did. Honestly, sometimes he felt like the kid in their relationship.

After a boring, drawn out game of twenty questions, Hanako established that the dog was female—or preferred female pronouns—was just about one year old and had a name starting with 'mo'.

"Momo?"

The dog shook her head.

"Moko?"

No.

"Momiji?"

Ah, she'd found it.

Kakashi watched with a smile as his kid bonded with her ninken. He could remember his own excitement from summoning Pakkun for the first time, the joy of finally having someone else in his life.

"Well, kiddo," he said, standing. "I believe this calls for a celebration." With a flourish, he summoned Pakkun, the pug looking tired and put upon until he noticed Momiji.

"Well, now," he said with a fond expression. "Looks like you finally took my advice."

Kakashi didn't dignify that with a response. "Come on, you two, we're getting barbeque."

Even Pakkun joined in the happy cheering that inspired.

The pug jumped up and settled on Kakashi's shoulders as they left the apartment. "They're a good match," he said in his human's ear. "The little one is a bit behind her littermates, but she excels at puzzle solving."

Just like his pup, then.

Pakkun laughed as if sensing his thoughts. "Your pup is catching up just fine, Kakashi. She just needs some time."

"Hn."

"KAKASHI~!"

Oh no.

Kakashi carefully schooled his features into a bored expression, raising his hand in greeting to the man who'd forced his way into his life like rockslide. "Yo, Guy."

Might Guy stood in the middle of the road with his hands on his hips, a wide smile on his masculine face. His customary green jumpsuit stood out against the bleary autumn setting, catching the eye of civilians and shinobi alike.

"My friend and rival," he began exuberantly. "How long it has been since we last met!"

"Ah."

"You have been taking on many missions, as of late! What a treat it is to see you at home!"

"Ah."

"Let us take this opportunity to settle our score! I propose a race—!"

"Daddy?"

Guy froze, fist raised above his head comically. His eyes darted down to Hanako where she stood with Momiji in her arms, her face covered by a mask just like Kakashi's. Guy leapt back, eyes bugging out of his skull.

"What is this? My friend, you have a child!?"

"Ah."

His kid laughed at Guy's expression, bowing as she introduced herself. "Hello! My name is Hanako Hatake, and this is Momiji. I summoned her all by myself!"

The childish display of pride had Kakashi smiling beneath his own mask. Guy's over the top expression of awe was likely heartfelt, and it pleased him to see his kid receiving genuine praise.

"Truly!? You are an asset to your clan, young Hanako!"

She giggled happily. "You're funny! I like you! Daddy, I like him!"

Kakashi snorted. "Ah."

"We're going to get barbeque, wanna come?"

Guy sent a questioning glance at Kakashi, who shrugged.

"It's her party, she can invite who she wants."

"Yay!" She dashed off down the street toward the restaurant, leaving the two jonin behind.

"My friend," Guy said seriously. "I did not know you had a child."

Kakashi shrugged. "Until a year ago, I didn't." At his friend's sharp glance, he sighed. "I'll tell you about it over drinks, sometime. Come on, she's waiting."