Chapter 48

LIAM

"Where are we on booking locations?" Tom Ackerman looks over at the set director as he taps his pen against the glass conference table. I'm sitting in a pre-production meeting at the studio in L.A. Monday afternoon, digging my fingernails into the palms of my hands to try and keep myself from falling asleep.

After everything that's happened in the last couple of days, I'm exhausted and emotionally drained. All I want to do is go back to my hotel room and pass out.

My phone vibrates, but I ignore it. I'm sure it's someone either reaching out to tell me how sorry they are to hear what an asshole my dad is or to tell me what an asshole I am for bribing him, just like all the other responses I've gotten from my interview so far.

I'll be glad when this whole thing blows over, even though I know any break I get will be temporary. Whenever one of my movies releases, whenever I get cast in a new role, the press will drag this story out all over again. They'll speculate about my relationship with my dad and whether or not I'm turning out like him.

I'll be forever connected to him. It's what I was always afraid of. A wave of nausea pummels me every time I think about it, but there's also a part of me that's relieved to have the truth out there. Hiding it was like having shackles around my wrists, constantly dragging me down. And it damn near cost me my career.

My cell buzzes three more times in quick succession, and an all-too-familiar pang of panic hits me. I texted my dad one last time yesterday to tell him I was cutting him off before blocking his number. But it isn't like he couldn't message me from someone else's phone. I'm sure he'll start trying to sell more stories to the rags soon if he hasn't already.

Julian's already started preemptively reaching out to the blogs and tabloids to let them know if they print any false, slanderous stories about me, we will be suing for libel. It's an unspeakable relief to have him fighting for me.

I slide my phone out of my pocket, holding it under the table out of sight. I'm about to turn it off when I see the messages are from Faye.

Faye: You need to watch this.

Her next message is a link to a video on Ariani's channel. When I see the thumbnail, my heart seizes inside my chest. It's a picture of Ada.

I knew Ariani wanted to have Ada on her channel, but that was before she blew my world to pieces. Ariana's supposed to be my friend. I'm surprised I have the emotional capacity to feel hurt after what I've been through this week, but it stings that she'd talk to Ada right now, let alone interview her.

Waves of indignation pour off me, and I have to fight to bury them before anyone notices. Gritting my teeth, I read Faye's last two texts.

Faye: She's telling the truth, Li. She isn't the one who sold that shot.

Faye: Mia told Ada's coworker about your dad. Ariani got her to admit to the whole thing last night.

I want to believe her. I want to believe her so bad the force of it almost knocks me off my chair.

Because, yeah, the idea of Mia selling me out sucks, but what I felt for her was nothing compared to what I feel for Ada. 

That girl got into my heart, into my goddam soul in a way I didn't think was possible. Her betraying me? It doesn't just suck. It's like being ripped wide open and having all my insides laid bare. It hurts more than I could've ever imagined. I want that pain to go away. I want everything to go back to how it was before that story broke. But it can't.

Even if Ada didn't sell that photo, she still took it and then lied to me about it. I can't trust her after that.

"What do you think, Liam?" I glance up to see Ackerman watching me.