Chapter 38

ADA

There are a few photographers lingering in front of my building when Liam takes me home, so the driver pulls around to a side street. "You two wait here," Briggs says over his shoulder as he climbs out, scanning the area to make sure it's clear. I'm tangled up with Liam in the backseat, arms around each other, fingers brushing against skin, which is basically the same position we spent the entire movie in.

If I hadn't seen Roman Holiday approximately five hundred times before, I wouldn't even be able to tell you if Ann ends up with Joe Bradley in the end.

Briggs gives a quick tap on Liam's window and nods, letting us know it's safe. Liam hops out and reaches back to help me down. I take his hand. I don't need the help, but I'll happily use any excuse to touch him.

Briggs leans against the front of the Range Rover, giving us some space while keeping an eye out. It's almost midnight, but the air is heavy and humid. Our shoes crunch on the loose gravel of the asphalt as we cut through the alleyway to the back entrance of my brownstone. Laughter echoes from one of the Juliette-style balconies on the building next door.

"You know," I say, nudging Liam with my shoulder, "you really aren't a bad chef. I think I might've even been impressed."

"Might've been, huh?" Liam grins down at me. His eyes are bright in the darkness.

"Jury's still out. I think we're going to need a do-over. You know, just to be sure."

Liam laughs. "That can be arranged." He wraps an arm around me and presses a kiss to my hair.

Flash. Flash. Flash. Flash. Flash.

I startle, blinking in surprise. This place was deserted two seconds ago. I have no idea where the photographer was hiding. I squint trying to see who it is, but their camera doesn't stop flashing. It blazes again and again until my eyes burn. My vision is nothing but searing spots. Liam's hand finds mine, holding tight as he tries to steer me toward the building.

"Hey, Liam," the photog shouts, and I'm surprised when the voice sounds feminine. "Have you talked to your dad lately?"

Everything inside me turns to ice. I know that voice. It's Chrissy. Liam stops walking. His body goes rigid. His hand is like a vice around mine.

"Where's he living now?" Chrissy hollers, camera still firing away. I hear Liam's sharp intake of breath, feel the panic pouring off him.

Mia must've told Chrissy about Liam's dad. And if she knows about his dad, then she's here digging for details to help her get a shot Agnes can use to sell his secret. This is all my fault. If I'd never made that deal with Agnes, this wouldn't be happening. I don't know if I'm more angry at myself or Chrissy. I can't think through the haze of guilt and fury that engulfs me.

I tug my hand free of Liam's, striding over to Chrissy.

"Ada, don't—" Liam calls, but I'm already in her face. I put my hand over her lens, shoving it away from Liam.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?"

"Get out of my face, you psycho," Chrissy yells. "I'm doing my job!"

"I'm the psycho? Who's the one stalking their coworker?" I shout.

Briggs is between us in the next heartbeat, blocking Chrissy's view of Liam and me and forcing her back.

My chest shudders. I'm on the verge of crying. My tear ducts have always been hardwired into my temper. I end up bawling my eyes out anytime I'm truly pissed off.