Chapter 14

"Our father is going to say hurtful things when he sees you." Legolas told Drizzt, the two had awoken at similar times and decided to let Leevria sleep longer before heading to the city. "I trust you're aware of this"

Drizzt nodded "I am. Nothing he can say will be something I haven't heard before" Legolas laughed and shook his head "I'm not worried about you. Leevria has never gotten along with ada."'

"I would never want to come between her and her father."

Grabbing his shoulder, Legolas gave him a sympathetic look "I don't believe you have much choice, my friend."

"I know. That's what worries me"

Leevrias worried voice came from behind them, startling the two elves "What worries you, melleth?"

He turned "Nothing. Are you feeling alright?"

She smiled "I'm alright. Are we leaving?"

~~~

Making it to the edge of the forest was always ominous, the dense fog along with the towering trees and the fight that surely awaited anyone who entered.

Drizzt called for Gwen, the panther seemingly happy her master had called until noticing what they were going into.

She bristled and moved ahead of the elves. Leevria drew her bow as they stepped into the trees, Gwen ahead and low to the ground.

They walked through the forest, jumping and preparing to fight at every noise until Legolas whispered something to his sister

"They're only watching us."

She looked around, noticing the spiders in the trees just staring at them and not attacking. Becoming more uneasy by the second, she subconsciously reached for Drizzts hand.

He returned her affection and pulled her closer to him "I don't mean to offend" He looked down at her "But who worships Lolth in your city?"

"What do you mean?" She asked "The spiders. The only other time I've seen them was in and around Menzoberrazan. I didn't know they were surface creatures as well."

She shook her head at him "They're meant to protect us. A border." He looked at her, his eyes held a look she didn't recognize. "From what?"

"Raiders"

"What raiders?"

"From the underdark. Ada made a deal with a goddess after mother was killed"

"Is your father a mad man?" He whispered emphatically

Leevria pulled back in shock at his tone "A mad man?"

Legolas raised his eyebrows at the drow "He was protecting his people. He'd no idea they would turn against us"

Drizzt rubbed his hands over his face "Do you not know?"

"Know what?"

"The goddess the drows worship is the mother of spiders. Why would your father make a deal with such as she?"

The clicking of the spiders became louder, causing Gwen to growl and sink lower to the ground.

Leevria smoothed her hand down the panthers fur "We should go. We've many things to discuss with ada"

Gwen took off, the three following closely behind her as their pace had quickened.