CHAPTER IV: I Am My Demon

Start from the beginning

"Eren," Mikasa interjected, "I really think I should —"

"You're not coming with me. You're on the decoy squad. Period."

"No way. I'm not leaving you alone! I won't take another chance —"

"Knock it the hell off!" Eren yelled, taking a step towards her. "Get it through your head that I'm not your responsibility! You're not my mother!"

There was a silence that followed after, during which Mikasa's eyes turned glassy. Evelyn's heart went out to her, and she might have asked Eren to be less harsh if not for the captain from before.

"Ackerman," he said. "I want you on the squad that'll be providing Jäger with backup. We'll need your skill."

Evelyn smiled for Mikasa. She deserved it.

"Hop-to," the captain continued. "Let's get this started."

"I'll see you, Armin, Evelyn," Eren called as he jogged away. "Don't die on me."

Don't worry. We won't.

"SHIT."

"What is it?"

"Something's wrong. Call it a hunch, but when Eren transformed, something was off."

Armin blinked. "Evelyn, what do you mean —"

"Look!" Evelyn shrieked suddenly; Eren's titan had blown a hole in the rooftop where Mikasa had once stood. The girl in question had dodged, but it didn't change the fact Eren had tried to attack her.

"I knew something was wrong!" Evelyn said, instinctively reaching for her blades. Armin eyed her warily. He realized what she was doing too late.

"Evelyn — NO —"

He was futile; Evelyn darted from the safety of the wall, zipped beneath buildings and over rooftops, wind whistling in her ears, hair whipping about; The familiar weightlessness of ODM gear came over her as she reached the other side of Trost in record time, just as Eren's Titan attempted to hit Mikasa again.

"Eren!" She screamed louder than she ever had in her life; in a brief second of horror, Eren's glowing green eyes turned on her, standing on the rooftop opposite Mikasa. "Leave her alone!"

Time slowed at that moment; the air held a bitterness in it, one akin to pure fear. In one awful flash, Eren Jäger's house-sized fist came down upon her.

Evelyn had never been as strong as Mikasa, nor as agile. What Mikasa dodged, Evelyn couldn't.

"EVELYN!"

There was only black after that.

"HEY, MONSTER."

Evelyn sniffled; white hair falling over her face, glassy, bloodshot eyes met her older brother's. Imiya Ravenger's kind ones stared back.

"Feeling down again?"

Evelyn dipped her head slowly, timidly. Her bed protested under Imiya's weight as he settled himself next to her and blew a lock of white hair out of his face. His eyes, an unnatural purple, glowed in the dim light of the room.

He pulled a neatly folded handkerchief from the breast pocket of his crisp button-up and handed it to her. "Remember what I said last time this happened?"

And Evelyn's squeaky whisper floated through the air. "T-To," — she hiccuped — "stay strong for you and Momma."

"That's right," He affirmed, rumpling her hair so that it matched his in style. "This'll be over soon. I know it. You've got a great life ahead of you, you know that?"