Chapter 40: Scars On My Skin

Start from the beginning

It's okay, Adrien, you got this. I thought to myself, it's only six hours, and then it'll be over and you won't have to worry again until tomorrow.

No, I really can't do this.

But I did it anyway. I squeezed my eyes shut, took a few deep breaths to hopefully calm my racing heart, and then walked into school.

***

First period was long and dreadful. It was hard getting through the first period without having Asher there because right now, he was the only friend I had. And because he wasn't here, it just made it harder to keep down my anxiety. It would creep up on me, sending shocks of dread and doom starting from my head and down to my feet. Then, my heart would start to race, my hands would tremble, and I had to fight every nerve in my body to not start panicking in the middle of the classroom.

I was relieved when first period was finally over and was able to spend my spare period in the art room like I usually did. No one was ever in the art room during second period, except for Ms. Sawyer, of course, considering it was her classroom. But it was a reliever for me because I could have a break from being around people, and just have a moment to breathe, and relax a little with some art.

I liked the silence. It was so nice to sit in an empty classroom; no people, no noise, no disturbances. Just me.

"Asher isn't with you today, Adrien?" Ms. Sawyer spoke up. I lifted my head, glancing over to where she sat at her desk, grading students' artwork. I shook my head and sighed.

"No, he had a doctor's appointment this morning so he's taking the morning off."

"Ah, I see," She nodded. She pulled her glasses off and rested them on top of her head. It fell silent once again as I didn't reply and I looked back down at my drawing, going back to sketching. It was quiet for another few minutes before I heard the scrapping of Ms. Sawyer's chair as she stood up from her desk, and I heard the clicking of her heels as she walked over to stand beside me.

"Mind if I see what you're drawing this time?" She asked. I paused, then slowly nodded my head, pulling my hands back to give her a better view of my drawing. I looked at my drawing, then up at Ms. Sawyer. Her head was tilted to one side as she took in my sketch, her brows slowly pulling together. I frowned.

"Something wrong with it?" I asked, biting my lip. She shook her head, brows still pinched together as she examined my sketch.

"Oh, no. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. It's just...very different from what you usually do," She commented, "your art is usually so...colourful, full of life, you know? This...this is very dark. But it's not a bad thing, just different."

"Oh."

Ms. Sawyer tore her gaze from my drawing, and glanced at me, "Is everything alright, Adrien? Is school going okay for you?"

I blinked, slightly taken aback by her question, "oh...uh, yeah. I guess so."

Ms. Sawyer frowned. She pulled the stool out from under the table and sat down at the table next to me, facing me with her leg crossed over the other.

"You guess so? Is something going on?"

"Ah...not really. I've just been having a harder time at school, but it's nothing."

"...are you sure hun? You can talk to me, you know. If something is bothering you, it's my job as your teacher to help you in any way I can," She said.

"I know that I can talk to you, but I'm saying that everything is fine. Just trying to push through until graduation, you know?" I told her. Ms. Sawyer didn't look too convinced.