Appendix: Quotes and the Map

Quotes

Beth, and some of the other characters of this book, tend to quote and, sometimes, misquote the classics. This is a (hopefully) complete list of all of them:

Chapter 2, Beth: Only the deepest love will persuade me into matrimony.

"I am determined that only the deepest love will induce me into matrimony. So, I shall end an old maid, and teach your ten children to embroider cushions and play their instruments very ill."
― Pride and Prejudice (the movie, 2005)

(As EvelynHail and Rather_Be_A_Unicorn correctly pointed out, this quote does not exist in the book, it's only in the movie. Thanks to both of you!)

Chapter 2, Beth: If his eyes gave him torment, that's no fault of mine.

"You men have none of you any hearts.' 'If we have not hearts, we have eyes; and they give us torment enough."
—Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

Chapter 7, Beth: The human race has gone backwards since we were apes, swinging through—

"The human race has gone backwards, not forward, since the days we were apes swinging through the trees."
— W.C. Fields, quoted by Carlotta Monti (with Cy Rice), W.C. Fields & Me, 1971

Chapter 15, Rock: Children and fools, they always speak the truth.

Yes, Rock quotes, too, at times.

"Children and fools always speak the truth."

—Mark Twain

Chapter 15, Rock: Turn your wounds into wisdom.

"Turn your wounds into wisdom."
— Oprah Winfrey, contemporary

Chapter 16, Beth: Where, indeed, does the moon not look well? What is the scene, confined or expansive, which her orb does not hallow?

"Where, indeed, does the moon not look well? What is the scene, confined or expansive, which her orb does not hallow?
― Charlotte Bronte, Villette

Chapter 27, Beth: I shall drink wine and be above vulgar economy.

"I shall eat Ice & drink French wine, & be above Vulgar Economy."
—Jane Austen, letter, 1 July 1808

Chapter 27, Whitesnake: Life has led me to the places where the wine and the liquor flow.

"Now the climate of all the good life
Oh has led me
To the places where the wine
And the liquor flow
I tried to be your one and only angel
But I'm not that kind of angel heaven knows
No no no no"
—Hank Thompson, The Wild Side of Life

Chapter 28, Beth: A man's true character swims best in alcohol.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."
—Charlie Chaplin

Chapter 33, Beth: A chance for freedom beats the fetters of fear any time.

"A chance for freedom beats the fetters of fear any time."
—Rainer Salt 😝

Chapter 37, Jael: Strangers bring disease and disorder. And they'll eat your lunch. Shun them, outsmart them, and don't talk to them.

"Wake Up America -- China is eating our lunch."
Donald Trump, 2011

(I never knew that the U.S. were exporting lunch boxes to China.)

Chapter 45, Rock: True peace cannot be achieved without truth.

Here, Rock expands on the original quote:

"Peace if possible, but truth at any rate."
—Martin Luther, 16th century

Chapter 45, Beth: Life is a battle. We have to fight it well.

"But life is a battle: may we all be enabled to fight it well!"
― Charlotte Brontë, The Letters of Charlotte Brontë

Chapter 46, Beth: This life is a battle, and we can only survive it if we fight it together

"But life is a battle: may we all be enabled to fight it well!"
― Charlotte Brontë, The Letters of Charlotte Brontë

The map

EvelynHail had created a beautiful map of the city, Seaside, and the surrounding wilderness. 

It's breathtaking

It's breathtaking. Zoom in for the details.

A high-resolution version can be found under the external link in the comment to this paragraph.