Chapter 2

BANG

BANG

BANG

Gunshots echoed throughout the room. Right now, the agency members were fighting off the members of the Black Lizard. For once, they weren't after Okada, but were after Atsushi for some weird reason. Okada simply controlled their minds to jump out of the window, which honestly wasn't that high of a drop.

The Black Lizard was a group that was part of Port Mafia. Their men often donned in the traditional black suits from the office, while the ability users could wear as they pleased. Okada was starting to feel bored, as she messed with the minds of the mafia.

From her previous experiences, it was not good to get involved with the mafia. Mainly because you would be targetted, for God's sake. Why would anyone even go after Port Mafia? Well, technically she was being hunted down for her powers, so it wasn't her fault. If they wanted her to work for them, they should have just took her in after her parents died. Then, she wouldn't have to spend her whole life with her witch of an aunt.

Back onto topic. Okada flicked her hand, sending the rest of them out of the window. Great, now the walls were covered in holes and the floor had a bunch of bullets that she would have to sweep up.

At this moment, Atsushi came rushing in shouting all kinds of things that Okada had no time to hear. She had already started disposing of the bodies with the blonde country boy. She wondered how the passerby's would react to the raining bodies of the Black Lizard. Thank God they haven't actually sent any of their higher-ups against her, because there was no way she could take them on.

"Okada-san, how do you like the Agency so far?" the young country bumpkin asked Okada with such sincere sweetness in his voice that she couldn't possibly think of him doing any harm to anyone. Well, that would be if they weren't hauling bodies out the window.

"Well, it's really cool I guess. I think it has cured a bit of my boredom. At least I'm not floating down a river, waiting for someone interesting to come along anymore, " I smiled back at the small boy. I'd guess he was around 14 or so. Why was he in the Agency?

She decided to bury that question as the young, barefooted boy went on a spiel about how the city was so different from where he was from. As he spoke on with a twinkle in his eye, Okada was reminded of the innocence of her childhood that didn't involve being chased by the Black Lizard, which wrecked, not only her apartments, but also all of her relationships with her landladies and roommates.

No, now was not the time for a deep, dark, depressing, sad and lonely flashback. Nor was it a time for a love-filled and sappy flashback.

But I never said no flashback.

~flashback~

A pink-haired girl pulled out one of her cancer sticks, something Okada wrinkled her nose in disgust at. How could people actually stand to smoke? The pink-headed girl simply rolled her eyes at Okada's overly dramatic reaction. It was just a cigarette bud. She didn't need to act like she had just stumbled upon a dead body. Granted, that was probably how the pink-haired girl would react to a body, but Okada would probably have the same reaction.

Okada stared at the cigarette disdainfully, her distaste evident in her eyes. Didn't she know that was bad for her lungs? No matter, Okada brushed it aside, turning back to her sparkling water.

"Why'd you get sparkling water? We're in a bar, Y'know, " Akabane Himari, the pink-haired girl, remarked.

"Why do you wear a cold, pink colour under your dark apparel?" Okada asked, deflecting the question.

"I- That's not the problem!" Akabane flared up, pink tinting her cheeks.

Akabane and Okada always had this strange relationship. They were best friends, yet they were meant to be rivals. Port Mafia was chasing after one, while the other was working at the very organisation. One was constantly bored, the other was constantly seeking approval from others. Yet, only when they met in the bar, could they joke and fool around like children.

"I'm thinking of trying for a job at that fabled agency. What was it, the Armed Detective Agency?" Okada said in a bored tone, taking another sip from her sparkling water.

"Oh? Then we'll have to become enemies one day, Okada. That would be fun, I always looked forward to fighting you, " Akabane smiled with a malicious undertone.

Sometimes, Okada couldn't tell whether Akabane was her best friend or whether she wanted to kill her. That itself sent shivers down her spine.

"Yeah, yeah. I guess we will have to fight one day, even though my power is useless in fights. At least you have your Chuuya-kun and Dazai-kun to live for. I don't even know what to do!" Okada groaned.

No matter how many times they met at the bar, they would always end up on this topic. Whether it was Akabane fighting about the boy that she liked, or whether it was Okada complaining about her boredom, the conversation would always land in this position. Strange, right?

"H-Hey! I don't live for Dazai-kun or Chuuya-kun! I mean, yeah, Chuuya-kun is my childhood friend, and Dazai-kun and I used to talk a bit, b- but that doesn't mean I like him!"

"Tsundere. No wonder you always want to fight me, " Okada muttered to herself.

"I heard that!"

Childhood friend, huh? She wished whoever this Chuuya guy good luck, because if anything she has seen from animes are true, then childhood friends never win.

"Anyways, I have to go. It's getting late, " Akabane said, standing up.

"Alright, Chibi-chan!" Okada smirked, standing up.

"You're only taller than me by a bit, idiot, " the pink-headed girl snarled, extinguishing her cigarette bud and throwing it at Okada.

"Alright. See you when our organizations clash. If the Agency even accepts me, " Okada said, already near the exit.

"I'm sure they'll accept you. Otherwise, we'll never be able to have our super, epic, legendary, amazing, extraordinary, remarkable, impressive-"

"Okay, you can stop there, " Okada joked, saying her goodbyes and leaving the pub.

And Akabane had kept her word. They never saw each other since. Not until Okada would fight her.

~end of flashback~

"Okada-san? Okada-san! Okada-san!"

Okada immediately fell back in shock. Unlucky for her, behind her, was the open window. It really was starting to seem like she had a thing for falling.