Chapter 1

"Hahaha, would you be kind enough to not shoot the hostage?"

How did Okada even end up in this situation? Abandoned in what she assumed to be the room where the agency carried out operations by her only companions of the Armed Detective Agency, stood Okada Rinami, who was not only unarmed, but also terrible at pleading with suicidal bombers. Well, this person was the only one she has ever dealt with yet, but still.

Dazai had already introduced her to the dorms, which was wonderful, since her last roommate had kicked her out for not paying rent. That, and the fact that she was sick of her apartment getting raided by the Black Lizard. Back onto topic. Her newest acquaintance, Dazai Osamu, had rung her up about a case on the rooftop of the Agency, which, according to him, she was the only was well equipped enough to stop him. Hearing the Egyptian mummy's praise, she couldn't possibly turn him down! Which was exactly how she ended up on the agency with a suicidal bomber, who was pointing a gun at a poor girl's head and holding the remote to what seemed like a bomb, which looked comically similar to those that she had seen in cartoons.

The bomber was a slim, orange-headed male with hazel eyes and pale skin. He wore an expression which she couldn't tell whether it was fear, sadness, anger, or all of the above. His gun was pointed towards the blue-headed girl, who had been gagged and tied up. Honestly, they were both attractive. Had she not been in such a dangerous situation, she would have tried flirting with either one of them. Or, at least, her desperate attempts of flirting.

"You- You wouldn't understand! I have nothing to live for anymore! I can't take this! Bring me the director, or I'll blow this entire place up!" the boy shouted. All the employees who were standing by flinched, as the boy waved the remote.

Okada simply stared at the boy, dumbfounded. Was she really being sent to deal with this guy who pitied himself more than anyone? Lame, she'd rather be solving actual detective cases, like what the agency's name had implied. That dissolved all forms of attraction that she previously held to the boy.

"Okay dude, you do you. I just need to snag that bomb and out myself, " Okada shrugged. It would be a simple mission. Get the bomb, disarm it, and go.

"I- I'm warning you! I'll press the button!" he shouted like a desperate teenager not wanting to be ignored.

Okada was no idiot. This boy had no intention of pressing the button. Well, not until he had his talk with the president. Either way, if he did, well... That would be a problem, since she didn't know how to defuse bombs.

"I'm giving you one chance. Give the remote. Don't say I didn't warn you, " Okada asserted in the most serious tone she could muster up.

Gosh, it was so tedious to use her ability. Plus, she didn't like the harmful effects that came with it, but it would have to do.

"Put down the remote, " Okada said.

Now, her eyes were glowing a soft purple. Willingly, the bomber placed the remote carefully down onto the table. This was her ability. She could read and control minds, and could also manipulate people's memories. In the earlier portion of her life, it was absolutely terrible hearing about others' depressing lives. She couldn't block out the thoughts, and thus was moved from orphanage to orphanage for being such a weirdo. Well, that didn't matter now, since she was with the agency.

Okada picked up the remote and released the poor guy from her ability. Gosh, she wished that idiot Dazai had given her more instructions on what to do with the bomb. Did she just throw the remote out? What was she supposed to do now?

"You! You played with my mind!" the bomber exclaimed.

Without warning, he pressed a button on the bomb, which was now counting down. Well, shit. Was there a reverse option on the remote? Okada pressed the button on the remote, but all it did was speed up the countdown on the bomb. 30, 29, 29... Time was ticking.

"WHY DID YOU DO THAT!" Okada screamed, pulling out her hair.

There was only one thing left to do. Throw the thing out the window and pray for the best. Actually, no. That was an awful idea. It would affect the pedestrians below. What was Okada to do now? With a ticking time bomb and a bunch of helpless employees, was there a way to save everyone?

"M- Maybe if you cover it with something, the explosion won't be as bad, " one of the girls stuttered out.

Yes, that was a great idea. But what was there to cover the bomb? It was definitely larger than most of the things she would have used to cover the bomb. She had to find something. Fast.

10,9,8...

There was no time left. Without thinking about it, she threw herself over the bomb. What a shitty death. Dying by protecting a shady organization which she had just been employed in. Great. She never got to commit that double suicide with Dazai.

3,2,1.

She expected there to be a huge explosion, as white noise filled her ears. She expected to be thrown back, experiencing immense agony from the explosion. However, the bomb didn't even explode. Okada was simply left there, unharmed, lying on the floor. She used one eye to peek at the sight. Surprisingly, all the employees of the organization were unaffected. As a matter of fact, it was like they knew this would happen. Wait a minute...

"Hahaha! You should have seen your face, Okada-san!" Dazai burst in through the door.

Okada was red. She immediately stood up, dusting her trousers. This was utterly humiliating for the poor girl. She had thrown her whole body over the bomb without thinking.

"Well, what did you think of the performance, director?" Dazai asked.

Director? Okada was confused until she saw a man emerge from the shadows. To say that she was shocked was an understatement. How did he even manage to hide himself there?

"She has proven herself worthy. After all, she did throw herself over the bomb, " the director of the Agency remarked.

Upon mentioning the part where she threw herself over the bomb, Okada felt like burying her face into her hands. Terrible. Embarrassing.

The director turned to the girl and scrutinized her. Fukuzawa wouldn't say this out loud, but her ability would be useful.

"Welcome to the Armed Detective Agency, "