ᴘᴛ. 11 - ᴛʜᴇ ᴄɪᴛʏ

Start from the beginning

Jake rolled his eyes and walked faster towards Amber. Timmy did his best to catch up, but settled for staying a little behind.

What did I do wrong this time?

"Timmy!" Amber gasped. "Look at all the little boats!"

She was like a small child, eyes wide with wonder.

"I can see them from back here!" He was still a couple of yards away.

Jake glared at him, making sure he knew to stay back.

Oh... so it's his time to shine?

"We should make a really cool boat one day and bring it here," Jake kneeled down next to her.

"That would be cool," she concurred. "You, Timmy, and I should all make one together."

Jake nearly gagged at the mention of Timmy, still able to see him emerging slowly from afar.

"What's taking Timmy so long to get over here?" She questioned.

"He's just... admiring the scenery," he replied.

"Okay," Amber said softly, still admiring the boats.

"What is it about the boats you like so much, Amby?" Jake gestured to them.

"They just make me happy," her eyes looked to Timmy for a moment. "They have a sense of joy to them."

Timmy was still being cautious, giving Jake space to cool off. He didn't want Jake to be in a bad mood so early in the day.

Jake has been in a bad mood since Monday.

-

Amber twirled down the sidewalk in her wake of optimism, the feeling of wandering through the city giving her endless energy.

The boys had the same look of adoration in their eyes as they watched her in front of them.

Jake could see the sun start to set in the September sky, and took a glimpse at his watch.

"Damn, six-thirty already?" He muttered.

Timmy furrowed his eyebrows and peeked over at Jake's watch.  "The park, that nature museum place—"

"The Museum of Natural History," Jake interrupted. "Yes, it did take a huge toll on our time."

Amber whipped her head around to them and pointed to her left.

"If you guys think we should head to Times Square, there's the subway," she shrugged.

Jake nodded firmly.

"Let's go."

-

The subway was always exhausting, no matter how long you've lived in New York. Timmy was Manhattan born and raised, and dreaded the thought of it.

It was loud.
It was crowded.
It even made him feel sick.

But that didn't matter right now, with Amber's arms wrapped tightly around his waist.

The subway rattled and screeched as Amber held onto him for support as they both stood up on the ride, Jake to the right of them.

He looked... jealous.

Amber's head was filled with thoughts of nothing but Timmy. Dancing through Central Park, stuffing pizza down their throats, reading through the exhibits in the museum...

Everything was so perfect.

"This is our stop," Jake yelled loud enough for them to hear.